MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login/Logout problems? PLEASE READ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe your browser messes up. What's your URL??
It's not a problem right now. It's just something that seems to randomly happen from time to time. Last time it happened I had three people test in three different countries and they all had the same problem, so it wasn't a computer/browser/IP issue. I managed to fix it by deleting/reuploading some files, but what bothers me is that this kind of thing happens in the first place. And it can happen even when I haven't made any recent template or file changes.
To answer your question of why it happens... 80% of the time people have this because they change their cookie settings when they have no idea what they're doing. 10% of people don't have settings.php CHMOD to 666. 5% have their browsers setup wrong. The other 5% can be things like downloading and deleting settings.php, maybe a plugin setting corrupts it or something. Sometimes my browser just forgets my cookies. I just login again. Sometimes people have something wrong with their templates, some people change or add something that breaks it.

What files did you delete and reupload...??
It must be a plugin setting that corrupts it each time, because I'm afraid none of the other possibilities you listed apply to me.

In order to fix this problem in the past, I once had to delete everything and reupload MyBB's default files to get it working again. I'm sure this wasn't necessary, but I didn't know which file was causing the problem, so I went ahead and replaced them all.

Other times, just deleting settings.php and either letting it regenerate or reuploading it has fixed the problem. What I don't understand, though, is why there would be a problem with settings.php in the first place.
Just curious, is http://forum.ffxii.us/ the forum that's giving you problems?? Because... the settings are wrong...

You should only really need to download/delete settings.php to get it to work, none of the other files should really have an effect... there have been times when someone's CHMOD setting has changed, through no action of their own, too.
You're right, the path was wrong for that forum. Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure why it was like that, but it's ok as that is pretty much a dead forum. Cool

Anyway, no, that is not the forum was talking about. I am talking about multiple forums over the last year or two.

Why would CHMOD settings change on their own? That sure makes things difficult to monitor.
I see that the issue is likely related to cookies. Everytime I try to experiment with the cookie settings, and I Save Settings, it reverts back to the same setting which is...
.accuraterater.com
/MyBB/

The site is at GoDaddy. The domain website www.accuraterater.com is hosted in a subfolder of designcharrette.com

So, since I cannot experiment with the settings because it reverts back to .accuraterater.com, I have no way to adjust.

Again, my original issue is to allow me to do Admin without constantly reentering my username and password.
It clearly says in the first post to edit ./inc/settings.php is you can't use the ACP.... but if the URL is http://www.accuraterater.com/MyBB/ you settings are currently correct anyway so it might be your browser that's not saving the cookies... make sure it's setup to save them properly, and clear them. Also make sure settings.php is CHMOD to 666... and have you tried downloading/deleting settings.php....??
Thanks Matt
thanks a ton! i was searching hard for a solution to this problem...didnt realise it was right in front of my eyes!