MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [AJAX] Inferno Shoutbox for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there !

I'm using this useful shout for my mybb forum. But I got a question: is there any option to active a sound when someone shout (it's much better to hear a sound than keeping an eye on it in my opinion) ?

Thanks for your help !
(2014-06-18, 06:51 PM)barduk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there !

I'm using this useful shout for my mybb forum. But I got a question: is there any option to active a sound when someone shout (it's much better to hear a sound than keeping an eye on it in my opinion) ?

Thanks for your help !

There isn't such an option currently and quite frankly I don't have the knowledge to implement it easily, so you would have to ask someone else about that.
I love this plugin but after using it for a few months my host suspended my account for having excessive server usage.

After looking in to it i found that it was this plugin that was doing a crazy amount of requests ie: GET /forums/infernoshout.php?action=openanus&t=1403019381037

I removed the plugin and my hosts did a test and reactivated my forum. How can i stop it doing so many requests?
(2014-06-18, 08:22 PM)MRxBIGxSTUFF Wrote: [ -> ]I love this plugin but after using it for a few months my host suspended my account for having excessive server usage.

After looking in to it i found that it was this plugin that was doing a crazy amount of requests ie: GET /forums/infernoshout.php?action=openanus&t=1403019381037

I removed the plugin and my hosts did a test and reactivated my forum. How can i stop it doing so many requests?

It's a shoutbox, every time it refreshes it loads that URL through ajax. There isn't a "fix", you can set the refresh time to a higher number, but that's going to cause lag in the shoutbox.

The real fix is to get a better host, one that can handle the load.
What host do you recommend?
(2014-06-18, 08:33 PM)MRxBIGxSTUFF Wrote: [ -> ]What host do you recommend?

I actually self host my website (I have a really nice ISP), so I don't have much any experience in that area.

I've heard good things about bluehost, so that might be a good place to start, but I'll let someone else here point you in the right direction.
(2014-06-18, 08:39 PM)Clank Wrote: [ -> ]

I actually self host my website (I have a really nice ISP), so I don't have much any experience in that area.

I've heard good things about bluehost, so that might be a good place to start, but I'll let someone else here point you in the right direction.

Yeah i used to self host but my ISP is not so kind and with a dynamic ip it just become a pain.

Thanks for your help though appreciate it
(2014-06-18, 08:50 PM)MRxBIGxSTUFF Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-18, 08:39 PM)Clank Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah i used to self host but my ISP is not so kind and with a dynamic ip it just become a pain.

Thanks for your help though appreciate it

Yeah, as Clank said, that's just the way this shoutbox works, it has to make some kind of request to know if there's new data. The ANUS function greatly reduces the amount of data per request but a lot of free web hosts don't like you making over 200+ requests per day. (I had this issue when I was on free hosting a long time ago). Usually any kind of paid hosting where they don't limit site requests will do the trick.

Thanks for your help !

(2014-06-18, 07:39 PM)Clank Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for your help !

There isn't such an option currently and quite frankly I don't have the knowledge to implement it easily, so you would have to ask someone else about that.

I could eventually implement some kind of sound feature. One way this could be achieved would be to parse the shout's HTML in the client side JS when displaying it instead of in PHP. This way every time there is a new shout we can detect that it's new and you could easily add a tiny bit of JS to play an audio clip every time.
This is brilliant. I like this shoutbox so much more than the other one I was using. The features and customization are amazing.

One thing I'd like to suggest/request... I love that there's a post when a new thread is created, how about a post when there's a reply to a thread?

Thank you so much.
(2014-06-29, 12:43 PM)jason_lbg Wrote: [ -> ]This is brilliant. I like this shoutbox so much more than the other one I was using. The features and customization are amazing.

One thing I'd like to suggest/request... I love that there's a post when a new thread is created, how about a post when there's a reply to a thread?

Thank you so much.

Glad to hear you like it. Clank has made the addition you're looking for here: http://community.mybb.com/thread-149231-...pid1080459