MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login/Logout problems? PLEASE READ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently, there have been a lot of people having problems logging in and/or logging out of their forums. This also includes having to login after every action in the ACP.

Almost every time, this is due to incorrect cookie settings. This is easy to fix, and here's how.

If you are hosting on a localhost (i.e. a test forum on your computer), your cookie domain will usually have to be blank.

Also, if you have a port at the end of your board URL (for example, if your board URL is http://123.45.67.89:1234) set your cookie domain to .123.45.67.89 - basically remove the :xxxx from the end. If you have a directory at the end as well as a port (for example, if your board URL is http://123.45.67.89:1234/forum) set your cookie domain to .123.45.67.89 as above, and set your cookie path to /forum/ - the port number isn't needed anywhere.

If you cannot work out your cookie settings, you can use this cookie generator created by our very own DennisTT and it will attempt to give you the correct settings. It is also recommended that you do not change your cookie settings when you install your forum as they are usually correct in the installer.

You can view your current cookie settings by viewing the source code from a page of your forum. If your cookie settings are wrong, you probably won't be able to change them in the ACP as you may not be able to stay logged in. If this is the case, in order to change them, find a way to open and edit ./inc/settings.php and edit the new values into the file. Then, you MUST go to 'ACP > Configuration > General Configuration' and make the change here too. This is because although editing the file will make you able to log in, the settings aren't updated in the database, and when you next save any settings in the ACP, the old settings will come back.

Also make sure ./inc/settings.php is CHMOD to 666.

99% of the time, this will solve the problem. However, sometimes your browser is set to not accept cookies, and this will cause a problem. Here's how to check your browser is accepting cookies:
  • IE 6/7/8 - Tools > Internet Options > Privacy (tab) > Change setting to 'Accept All Cookies' > Apply > OK.
  • FF3 - Tools > Options > Privacy (tab) > Cookies > Accept cookies from sites > *tick* > Accept third party cookies *tick* > keep until > *they expire* > OK.
  • Opera 9/10 - Tools > Preferences > Advanced (tab) > Cookies > Accept cookies > *tick*.
  • Safari - Edit > Preferences > Security (tab) > Accept cookies > Always > *tick*.
  • Chrome - Spanner symbol > Options > Under the Hood (tab) > Cookie settings > Allow all cookies.

After changing any cookie settings it may be necessary to clear your browser's cookies and then try again.

Still not working??

If you're sure the settings are right (i.e. they show what they should do in the source code of a page), settings.php is CHMOD to 666, and you've cleared your browser's cookies, try this.

Download a copy of ./inc/settings.php, and then delete it from your server. It should regenerate itself, and just in case it doesn't, you can reupload your downloaded copy. When it regenerates like it should (you may need to click around a few times on the forum to get it to regenerate), we'll know that it's a clean, fresh, uncorrupted version, with all the settings fresh from the database, meaning we'll be sure that the file is OK. Then, clear your cookies again, and try to login again.

----------------------------------------

If you are having a problem of no CAPTCHA image showing, please upgrade to the latest version of MyBB as this was fixed in 1.4.5.

If you are getting a white screen when you login and you have recently merged to MyBB, see here: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-420...#pid302288

----------------------------------------

If you are still having trouble, please tell us your URL. If you still have a problem but only say 'I still have a problem' but give no URL, we cannot help you in any way at all.

Also, if you are still having problems logging in or out, please post in this thread rather than making a new one, as there is often 2 or 3 threads on this each day.

Thank you Smile
Some of my users are saying that after they try logging in it takes them to the members.php page and it is blank. I went in and made sure my cookie info was correct as stated in this thread and tested it and the same thing is happening. This isn't an issue for everyone, just a handful of accounts.

To give you more insight to this issue, yesterday I did install these forums for the first time and used the Merge tool to transfer over everything from my SMF forums. I replaced the modified loginconvert.php file with the one in the SVN Snapshot as suggested in another topic. That fixed the issue that people were having when logging in and getting an error stating their passwords were incorrect.

So far today I have tried going in and manually changing their password to see if this rectified the issue and no dice, we still get a blank members.php page. I have had them use different browsers, dump their cookies, history, cache, etc. and they still can't login. I removed the "Lock account after "X" amount of failed logins" feature in hopes that might have a hand in this, but there was no change. Any suggestions to fix this?
well done mate.
hope that's help these people who face this problem.
Good job, Matt! Glad someone finally posted it. I had it figured out, but never got around to posting it.Sad
(2008-12-17, 08:02 PM)Kamen Wrote: [ -> ]Some of my users are saying that after they try logging in it takes them to the members.php page and it is blank. I went in and made sure my cookie info was correct as stated in this thread and tested it and the same thing is happening. This isn't an issue for everyone, just a handful of accounts.

To give you more insight to this issue, yesterday I did install these forums for the first time and used the Merge tool to transfer over everything from my SMF forums. I replaced the modified loginconvert.php file with the one in the SVN Snapshot as suggested in another topic. That fixed the issue that people were having when logging in and getting an error stating their passwords were incorrect.

So far today I have tried going in and manually changing their password to see if this rectified the issue and no dice, we still get a blank members.php page. I have had them use different browsers, dump their cookies, history, cache, etc. and they still can't login. I removed the "Lock account after "X" amount of failed logins" feature in hopes that might have a hand in this, but there was no change. Any suggestions to fix this?

Any help with this? This is getting to be a real headache with members bugging me when they will be able to log in properly.
Which version of MyBB are you using / which plugins do you have installed?

You can check the merge system section - http://community.mybboard.net/forum-96.html or http://community.mybboard.net/forum-76.html - which might hold more clues...
I started off with the last build version of myBB that was listed under 1.2 so the Merge tool would work. Once it had merged everything over I upgraded to 1.4.4. From what I had read after you upgraded you were supposed to replace the original loginconvert.php with the one found in the SVN Snapshot. I did that and that fixed one log in issue that was stating people were using the wrong password. But I still have a handful of accounts when they try to log in they get directed to a blank members.php page and when they try to go back or go to the Index page it asks them to log in.

Like I stated, I tried the cookies thing here and it didn't work in fact it caused more problems where it kept asking you to log in after every time you went to a new page so I removed those settings. I had them try and reset their password and it didn't work. I reset their password and it didn't work. I have had them use different browsers, dump their cookies, history, cache, etc. and they still can't log in. I removed the "Lock account after "X" amount of failed log ins" feature in hopes that might have a hand in this, but there was no change. I am at a standstill here and would like to get this resolved ASAP. The link to my boards are http://premierwc.net/community/index.php if you need to take a look at them.
thank u MattR really it is very helpful for new user MyBB .
After changing cookie settings it may be necessary to delete the old browser cookies.
Yeah I did that. Cookies, history, cache; you name it, it was dumped.