MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-07-28, 08:03 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-28, 05:50 PM)featherstone Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering, I understand old themes won't be compatible, but what about plugins? How do I know which ones will still be working?

Any plugins that add or modify templates will need to be updated due to the changes to the theme and template systems, so most plugins will need an update. The changes needed should be quite simple though.

Regarding the development of 1.9, I have a work in progress blog post that I started drafting, but haven't yet published. The draft is posted publicly here though: https://github.com/mybb/blog.mybb.com-dr...pdate-2.md

I need to finish writing the above blog post, and we need to rebase the 1.9 code on the 1.8.17 code as the two are currently out of sync. Justin also has an open work in progress PR for the new 1.9 theme here too: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3297

How do we know in advance which ones will require simply aesthetic adjustments, and what will stop working altogether if not edited? I can make skins but can't create plug-ins or tweak their functions.
Hopefully, MyBB developers will submit a manual (included in the release of 1.9.xx) of some sort, detailing all of the possible changes that an Admin might have to do with his/her website.

Some of the things will be backward compatible, but one item is of major concern are the themes, specifically customized themes. 

More than likely, many of us (myself included) will have to resort to the default theme until we get our customized themes updated to be compatible with the 1.9.xx version.

Regarding the default 1.9.xx theme, will that theme come with a few options such as a Dark theme?

I use a dark theme for my website and if I were to use the default 1.9.xx light theme, it wouldn't look right.

Any info on this?
(2018-07-29, 09:14 AM)featherstone Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-28, 08:03 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-28, 05:50 PM)featherstone Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering, I understand old themes won't be compatible, but what about plugins? How do I know which ones will still be working?

Any plugins that add or modify templates will need to be updated due to the changes to the theme and template systems, so most plugins will need an update. The changes needed should be quite simple though.

Regarding the development of 1.9, I have a work in progress blog post that I started drafting, but haven't yet published. The draft is posted publicly here though: https://github.com/mybb/blog.mybb.com-dr...pdate-2.md

I need to finish writing the above blog post, and we need to rebase the 1.9 code on the 1.8.17 code as the two are currently out of sync. Justin also has an open work in progress PR for the new 1.9 theme here too: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3297

How do we know in advance which ones will require simply aesthetic adjustments, and what will stop working altogether if not edited? I can make skins but can't create plug-ins or tweak their functions.
There isn't any easy way to know, but if the plugin adds or modifies a template, an upgrade will be needed. As 1.9 nears release there will be a beta period and documentation for developers and theme designers to get plugins and themes updated before the full release happens. During that time you should check if any of the plugins you use have updates, and if they don't you should try to contact the original author of the plugin or ask in the plugin support forum.
(2018-07-29, 10:57 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully, MyBB developers will submit a manual (included in the release of 1.9.xx) of some sort, detailing all of the possible changes that an Admin might have to do with his/her website.

Some of the things will be backward compatible, but one item is of major concern are the themes, specifically customized themes. 

More than likely, many of us (myself included) will have to resort to the default theme until we get our customized themes updated to be compatible with the 1.9.xx version.

Regarding the default 1.9.xx theme, will that theme come with a few options such as a Dark theme?

I use a dark theme for my website and if I were to use the default 1.9.xx light theme, it wouldn't look right.

Any info on this?

There isn't currently a plan for a dedicated dark theme (designing and building one theme from scratch is a large amount of effort, never mind doubling it by designing 2), but it should be possible to tweak the SCSS variables used for the theme to alter colours used in the theme much more easily than in 1.8.

Any info on this?

(2018-07-29, 04:25 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't currently a plan for a dedicated dark theme (designing and building one theme from scratch is a large amount of effort, never mind doubling it by designing 2), but it should be possible to tweak the SCSS variables used for the theme to alter colours used in the theme much more easily than in 1.8.

Well, I do hope that whoever is working on the new default theme for 1.9.xx consider doing a dark version of the default theme. 

Why not have that person tweak the SCSS variables have it as a 2nd theme option? If you are saying that it's not all that hard to do, why not do it before the release?
Most of the theme code can be repeated since a lot of it is not related to CSS anyways. Most of the changes in the code will be in the coloring of the theme.

Giving the Admins at least 2 options is far better than 1 default theme that many may not like.
@Euan T please forgive my laziness is there an indication of how far along the actual theme change is at i know going through github it is possible to get some indication but it would be nice to have some tracking within this site.

I have a project i want to do at the moment but am holding back until a point when 1.9 becomes a viable option just me being lazy again do not want to have to code things twice.

I have a feeling we are still a ways off and looking towards a next year time frame **correct me if i am wrong

I do have to agree with @Serpius above in have a dark or light option would be a great thing but also knowing that the main effort is on the actual release i guess someone from the community will get out a dark theme fairly quick once a beta is available.

just would be nice to see a check list or progress board i know it will help with the communities interest in where things are.
Issue to do with conversion: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/2972

Issue to do with issues with conversion: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3294
(2018-07-30, 04:45 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]@Euan T please forgive my laziness is there an indication of how far along the actual theme change is at i know going through github it is possible to get some indication but it would be nice to have some tracking within this site.

I have a project i want to do at the moment but am holding back until a point when 1.9 becomes a viable option just me being lazy again do not want to have to code things twice.

I have a feeling we are still a ways off and looking towards a next year time frame **correct me if i am wrong

I do have to agree with   @Serpius above in have a dark or light option would be a great thing but also knowing that the main effort is on the actual release i guess someone from the community will get out a dark theme fairly quick once a beta is available.

just would be nice to see a check list or progress board i know it will help with the communities interest in where things are.

The current plan is to have an Alpha release at the very least by September, with a full release before the end of 2018 hopefully (this depends entirely on how the Alpha release goes, and subsequent beta releases).

The conversion of templates is all but complete and Justin is pretty far on with the new theme. The current items left on the list are basically:
  • Drop in the new editor (this should be a fairly easy job)
  • Update some templates to use some new Twig functions like "my_date()" and "my_number_format()" (very easy job, just a case of finding existing usage and changing them to use the new functions)
  • Update the ACP to list/edit the new Twig templates rather than the old database templates (the biggest job on this list, but not a massive one) - there are some other theme related changes linked to this whilst we're tweaking the theme module such as being able to handle SCSS and hopefully tabbed template/style editors
  • A whole bunch of testing

Justin has indicated that he did intend to create a dark theme by tweaking some of the SCSS colour variables, but I'm not sure if he plans to bundle that with the core, or to release it as a separate theme on the mods site - we'll have to cross that bridge closer to release.
(2018-07-30, 07:40 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Justin has indicated that he did intend to create a dark theme by tweaking some of the SCSS colour variables, but I'm not sure if he plans to bundle that with the core, or to release it as a separate theme on the mods site - we'll have to cross that bridge closer to release.

That's great news!

Either method, into the core or as a separate theme will suffice a lot of us. 

My preference is to bundle the dark theme with the core. 

That way when installing or upgrading the option to select the light or dark theme will show up during that process. Just my opinion.
@Euan T thanks for your detailed reply this is indeed positive news.

it looks like it might be a good time to start and look at the code and start to work on things.

I gather theme wise the core of the MyBB code is similar just using the Twig so at this stage there will still be table based format I did have a look a couple of months ago and this is what it appeared to be, so basically template names will be much the same.

I will have to find some time and have a bit of a look at things

@Ben Cousins sorry i missed your post before thanks for the links now doubt they will be help for many to see the current progress.
(2018-07-31, 06:18 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]I gather theme wise the core of the MyBB code is similar just using the Twig so at this stage there will still be table based format I did have a look a couple of months ago and this is what it appeared to be, so basically template names will be much the same.

The 1.9 theme will be completely different from 1.8. It will not be table based. I'll have a demo of the work-in-progress 1.9 theme up soon.

Also, while the template organization is currently fairly similar, I am planning to reorganize the new Twig templates at some point in the near future to make the organization of the templates more consistent and logical.