MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
3 (or more) years of development for 2.0, before halting production and shift to 1.9. That was around 7 years ago. This thread had circular discussions between users and staff anytime someone mention "any updates?" with more-or-less the same answers.

Around this time last year, there was a developer did join with the intention of pushing (or at the very least, hasten) the project but ended resigning due to opposing viewpoints. Nothing wrong with that, things happened. But it does leave a bit of a negative image somewhat that pushed people away who want to help and do the work. Its 100% not intentional; disagreements happened, but it can leave that bit of a image for some people who's looking to join to help assist the project.

There were some discussions that there could be attempts to keep everyone in the loop about the status of the project, but weeks and months go by and no discussion had been made. It is possible that any sort of updates or at least discussion about 1.9 is being talk elsewhere (i.e. discord)? If so, maybe it needs to be stated here that "hey, if you want further discussions with 1.9 in the nitty gritty, this is place we're discussing on?"
I would say that in general there is no on-going discussion about the 1.9 branch, apart from the occasional updates, formal or informal, throught this community or the official channels (Discord, etc). Although any is welcome here in the community or the official channels (Discord, etc).

The project itself isn't death or completely still (on hold), rather it is its peace that is just.. what it is.

Anyone is welcome to contribute to the project, as the person you make a reference about sure did plenty of while in the team and while out of it. As many others have done as well and many will probably make in the future.

But in the end you have to understand, even if you disagree, that the project has set guidelines, which might vary on flexibility in manners you might or might not agree with. To mention one : this is not a for-profit project. Period. You can try to make profit off it but that won't change the vision of the project in the near future (based on the pure fact that it hasn't changed in the past 7 years you mention).

But ultimately the project is still going and will probably survive more years to come even if it does not evolve the way some people would expect it to.
(2024-01-06, 07:49 PM)ShineCero Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible that any sort of updates or at least discussion about 1.9 is being talk elsewhere (i.e. discord)? If so, maybe it needs to be stated here that "hey, if you want further discussions with 1.9 in the nitty gritty, this is place we're discussing on?"

If you would like to get some additional updates (probably not found in other official channels), try the following Discord Channel :
https://discord.com/channels/21587684763...3325747201

You could also start your own discussion on the matter in that same channel.
From Discord:
Quote:we tend to post less on the Forums since we shifted from general feature discussion to technical details that are less screenshot-worthy (usually found [on Discord], in GitHub Issues & PRs, and https://github.com/mybb/meta/blob/main/a...-system.md)

more solid updates tend to go straight for the Blog (https://blog.mybb.com/2023/03/07/designi...staller-2/), but I'll post some summary with links to work done so far since the 1.9 theme & 1.8-to-1.9 sync was completed, once the inner workings of the Theme System are up

until then, you should be able to already run 1.9, check out existing changes (the theme itself, new installer, etc.) and help e.g. by seeing what you can break in existing PRs [like https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/4599]

In related news, I'm planning to finally add a PR with the foundations of the 1.9 theme system (arguably the most problematic part, leaving the ACP UI, relevant functions for plugins + minor leftover tasks that we've been keeping track of, which will need to be taken care of before a stable release). This was mostly offline since it's easier to make adjustments in various places for easily-reviewable code.

It may theoretically move us into Alpha 1 territory, but we'll see how to organize this best (with the goal of starting to provide easily installable packages, like with 1.8).
When will the next version be released?
Hey fellow MyBB enthusiasts!

Hope you're all doing fantastic! I've been eagerly following the progress of MyBB 1.9, and the anticipation is getting the best of me. The MyBB team has been doing an amazing job, and I can't wait to see what fantastic features they have in store for us.

I know that good things take time, but I couldn't resist asking the burning question: any hints on when MyBB 1.9 will be released? I'm sure we're all itching to get our hands on the latest and greatest version, and the suspense is killing me!

Share your thoughts and speculations—let's have some fun discussions while we patiently await the big reveal. And of course, a big shoutout to the MyBB team for their hard work and dedication. We appreciate you more than words can express!
By the time 1.9 ever comes out, it will already be outdated, lol. I thought Xenforo was bad in development, but MyBB's progress is unreal.
(2024-03-07, 01:15 PM)ForceEight. Wrote: [ -> ]By the time 1.9 ever comes out, it will already be outdated, lol. I thought Xenforo was bad in development, but MyBB's progress is unreal.

https://mybb.com/get-involved/