MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-09-15, 07:58 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]- yes, you can upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 when it's released as stable, but do note that you'll likely have to use the default theme and/or a new theme that is designed to work with 1.9.  also note, unless the plugins you use are updated to work with 1.9, they'll likely need to be deactivate and/or uninstalled.

Well, in regards to the Plugins...

There are a few plugins that some authors have totally abandoned and my website does use a few of those and I'm sure other websites do as well.

So, the big question is... if we can't contact the original author of those said plugins, how are we able to get those plugins upgraded/updated to conform to the standards of 1.9.xx?

I can foresee already that a lot of admins will be posting a lot related to this issue and wondering why 1.9.xx could not handle the older plugins. (backward compatibility)
(2018-09-15, 09:04 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-15, 07:58 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]- yes, you can upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 when it's released as stable, but do note that you'll likely have to use the default theme and/or a new theme that is designed to work with 1.9.  also note, unless the plugins you use are updated to work with 1.9, they'll likely need to be deactivate and/or uninstalled.

There are a few plugins that some authors have totally abandoned and my website does use a few of those and I'm sure other websites do as well.

So, the big question is... if we can't contact the original author of those said plugins, how are we able to get those plugins upgraded/updated to conform to the standards of 1.9.xx?

I can foresee already that a lot of admins will be posting a lot related to this issue and wondering why 1.9.xx could not handle the older plugins. (backward compatibility)

depending on the license of the plugins used, you can pay someone to update them to work with 1.9 or have an entirely new plugin built. mybb's theme structure is being changed for 1.9. most plugins that hook into templates and such with 1.8 probably will not work on 1.9.

unfortunately we (mybb) cannot allow this type of stuff to hold us back from modernizing the software to 2018 standards. this is one of the reasons mybb 1.8 will be supported for a while after mybb 1.9 is released - gives forum owners & theme and plugin creators time to upgrade their code to the new theme structure.
In regards to plugins, I'm sure some users and helpers around the forum would be glad to help update public plugins if it's simple enough.
(2018-09-15, 09:30 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

depending on the license of the plugins used, you can pay someone to update them to work with 1.9 or have an entirely new plugin built.  mybb's theme structure is being changed for 1.9.  most plugins that hook into templates and such with 1.8 probably will not work on 1.9.

unfortunately we (mybb) cannot allow this type of stuff to hold us back from modernizing the software to 2018 standards.  this is one of the reasons mybb 1.8 will be supported for a while after mybb 1.9 is released - gives forum owners & theme and plugin creators time to upgrade their code to the new theme structure.

I'm not asking MyBB team to hold anything back in regards updating the MyBB forum software to current standards. This should be done.

My concern is that there are a number of plugin authors who have more or less abandoned their software work and moved onto something else. 

There are licenses that state something like this (in simple terms) "Don't change anything in this software without my permission". 
Now, admins are faced with a dilemma modifying a plugin so that it will conform to 1.9.xx but they are also violating the license because they cannot locate the author to get his/her permission to change the software so that it's compatible with 1.9.xx. 

So, what does an admin do in this situation?

I can see this coming... Plugin authors will charge an exorbitant amount to create plugins that admins will need to run/maintain their website. 

Plugin authors will know that if there is a need/demand for a specific plugin(s), all of which are FREE on MyBB.com, can charge a high fee for those plugins that were once free of charge.

To me, that flies in the face of MyBB forum software being free and open source. 

Just my 2 cents...
Quote:Don't change anything in this software without my permission

I haven't personally seen anything like this on a public plugin. Of course for premium and custom plugins you'll probably need to pay someone to update it for you.

You're probably not wrong on all of your other points. What would you have the team do? Force those who are capable of updating plugins to do it for free? Update the requested plugins themselves? This is something that is uncontrollable unfortunately. As I said earlier though, I'd like to think the team, contributors and others will help forum administrators update some of their plugins (my personal opinion) if the task is easy enough.

In most cases, inactive plugin authors probably wouldn't worry too much about others updating their plugins for the release of 1.9x as long as the credits remain intact.
[quote pid='1314354' dateline='1537097050']
Plugin authors will know that if there is a need/demand for a specific plugin(s), all of which are FREE on MyBB.com, can charge a high fee for those plugins that were once free of charge.

To me, that flies in the face of MyBB forum software being free and open source. 

Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

The forum software being free does not mean that every plugin or theme can/will be free.

There are very few plugins with restrictive licenses as you mention. I am all for respecting copyright, so even if that were the case i would just let it be, and move onto something else.

The community is better if there is expert opinion in it. Clearly there is none now, or very little of it. Most of the themes/plugins being released now are junk, looking to make a quick buck. This junk does not move MyBB forward, in fact it takes MyBB backward. 

Whether the release of 1.9 can undo the damage that has been done, and get expert opinion to return to the scene, remains to be seen.
When we get alpha of 1.9?
(2018-09-16, 11:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-15, 09:30 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

depending on the license of the plugins used, you can pay someone to update them to work with 1.9 or have an entirely new plugin built.  mybb's theme structure is being changed for 1.9.  most plugins that hook into templates and such with 1.8 probably will not work on 1.9.

unfortunately we (mybb) cannot allow this type of stuff to hold us back from modernizing the software to 2018 standards.  this is one of the reasons mybb 1.8 will be supported for a while after mybb 1.9 is released - gives forum owners & theme and plugin creators time to upgrade their code to the new theme structure.

I'm not asking MyBB team to hold anything back in regards updating the MyBB forum software to current standards. This should be done.

My concern is that there are a number of plugin authors who have more or less abandoned their software work and moved onto something else. 

There are licenses that state something like this (in simple terms) "Don't change anything in this software without my permission". 
Now, admins are faced with a dilemma modifying a plugin so that it will conform to 1.9.xx but they are also violating the license because they cannot locate the author to get his/her permission to change the software so that it's compatible with 1.9.xx. 

So, what does an admin do in this situation?

I can see this coming... Plugin authors will charge an exorbitant amount to create plugins that admins will need to run/maintain their website. 

Just my 2 cents...

there's nothing we can do if someone creates a theme or plugin and then moves on. further, if their license restricts people from modifying their code and what not, then that ties our hands as well.

if you're using a plugin that isn't maintained (probably not the best idea anyway from a security perspective) and you want to go over to 1.9 when it's stable, either see if you can find someone to make the plugin for you (pay them) or find an alternative that exists already that'll accomplish what you need.

plugin and theme authors should be able to charge for their work if they wish. we have the choice to support them or not.
(2018-09-16, 08:43 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]plugin and theme authors should be able to charge for their work if they wish. we have the choice to support them or not.

Totally agree, not that i think anyone here is disputing that.

in terms of plugins and themes coming out for 1.9 until we at least have the alpha there is not much anyone can do but wait.

I do see what @Serpius is saying and in that we have and do see a lot of plugins abandoned with major updates and unfortunately this happens in just about every project of this kind and nothing will change that.

If you are willing to pay then you can get what you need, if not then it comes back to the whole point of this community and trying to tackle something on your own there are enough people around here that will lend a hand to help you if you do it in the right way.

@Ashley1 i do agree that some themes may not be you bute dynamic works of art and plugin wise things may not be to what you want, but there are a lot of custom plugins done that are not publicly available for a number of reasons as has been the case for some time now. as to if 1.9 will change this that is doubtful personally i gave up on my own as i wait for 1.9 same with the theme as i could not see the sense in writing things then having to come back and do it all again to fit 1.9 i am sure others are holding back too.

Hopefully the alpha is not far away @Euan T or @Justin to provide more info on this and even then no doubt there will be a few changes and adjustments either way i am hoping for something to work with sooner rather than later.

Who knows what we will think once we have a working release and the documentation to work with it
(2018-09-17, 07:12 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]@Ashley1 i do agree that some themes may not be you bute dynamic works of art and plugin wise things may not be to what you want, but there are a lot of custom plugins done ...

With a few exceptions, the themes being released here are mostly rips of other people's work. When a themehouse gives away their MyBB themes for free, that should indicate to you what the level of interest in MyBB really is  Sad

Then you have people coming on here promoting the idea that a custom theme should be no more than $40  Huh

when the reality outside this forum is completely different.