MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-03-13, 08:18 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Well explained, was de-touched from MyBB for a while and losing stream. But ...

(2018-03-13, 07:46 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Blade syntax has changed several times over a fairly short amount of time, ...

Which is likely going to be a problem with MyBB as well, that was the point of my post, which is not been replied. I was concerned about the consistency of MyBB codes for the interest of theme / plugin devs rather than Twig vs. Blade debate.

That has also been answered multiple times. Obviously moving to Twig is a change, but once we’ve moved to Twig, we’re sticking with it for the foreseeable future. Sticking with the current system (which isn’t even a template engine - it’s strings of PHP stored in the database and evaluated at run time...) just because people are used to it isn’t great. A proper template engine gives both us writing the core and theme/plugin developers a lot more flexibility. Rather than relying on plugins like the PHP in templates plugin, if statements, loops and functions will all be built into the core template engine. Add to that the automatic escaping of variables rather than relying on people remembering to use htmlspecialchars_uni() in their PHP code and the move makes a lot of sense to me. 

We didn’t just decide to do this on a whim. It has been discussed with the community over quite a long period of time.
No doubt a good move as long as "we’re sticking with it for the foreseeable future".
Trying to update myself with changes in MyBB during couple of years and your detail descriptive explanation helped a lot.

So there is no point making themes for 1.8 when we know Twig will flow all the hard work out Smile
Oh!! and you missed to explain why we are not using Symfony :p

Sorry, bad joke. Appreciate all your hard work in MyBB development.
We are using several Symfony components actually, such as SwiftMailer for sending emails.
beta released? date?
Is there something confirmed?

Me ha gustado sobre la nueva forma de desarrollar themes que va a cambiar todo, ya tengo ganas de probarlo.
En general mucho no me molesta es cuestion de agarrar la mano, debe ser algo parecido a wordpress cuando se desarrolle themes creo Toungue.
[Image: Untitled_1.png]

Google is my friend ...
"a matter of grabbing the hand" lmao

@Euantor, I don't know what the official decision stands, but I get the feeling 2.0 development has been (temp) killed/suspended ? I read a enough about what the plans for 1.9, 1.10, etc. are but pretty much nothing about 2.0 turn of what is already written.
(2018-03-14, 05:04 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]"a matter of grabbing the hand" lmao

@Euantor, I don't know what the official decision stands, but I get the feeling 2.0 development has been (temp) killed/suspended ? I read a enough about what the plans for 1.9, 1.10, etc. are but pretty much nothing about 2.0 turn of what is already written.

@Omar G.

It's kind of silly to expect any iterations of 1.9 or 2.0 anytime soon since the developers of MyBB haven't even released the so-called update of 1.8.15 which has been bandied about for some time now.

Given the snail's pace of rolling out incremental updates (as of this date of this post, we are almost done with the 1st quarter 2018), I do not expect to see version 1.9 this year.

That's being realistic.

UPDATE:

Version 1.8.15 was released, but I still don't see any 1.9 releases coming this year. 

I think for the rest of the year, we will see incremental 1.8.xx updates to address on-going issues before 1.9 is even considered for release.

The current position is that 2.0 is put on hold (suspended), with iterative development work on smaller versions with big changes (1.9, 1.10, 1.11) being the preferred approach. Work on 2.0 was progressing extremely slowly due to the limited number of developers and the limited free time those developers could contribute. Smaller releases are easier for developers to work on and are easier to test (and hopefully upgrades will be easier this way too...).
(2018-03-13, 11:16 PM)Finer Wrote: [ -> ]beta released? date?
Is there something confirmed?

Me ha gustado sobre la nueva forma de desarrollar themes que va a cambiar todo, ya tengo ganas de probarlo.
En general mucho no me molesta es cuestion de agarrar la mano, debe ser algo parecido a wordpress cuando se desarrolle themes creo Toungue.

There is no confirmed release date, but we're still planning on having an alpha or beta release ready before the end of Q2 2018 (so before the summer). Work is currently progressing well, with many templates having been translated already and Justin getting a lot of great work done on the theme. There are still a bunch of back-end changes required to manage the new template system, but they shouldn't take too long to complete.
(2018-03-14, 12:57 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

The current position is that 2.0 is put on hold (suspended), with iterative development work on smaller versions with big changes (1.9, 1.10, 1.11) being the preferred approach. Work on 2.0 was progressing extremely slowly due to the limited number of developers and the limited free time those developers could contribute. Smaller releases are easier for developers to work on and are easier to test (and hopefully upgrades will be easier this way too...).

If that is true regarding the position of MyBB 2.0, I highly suggest that the developers and Admins of MyBB.com suspend 'MyBB 2.0 Development forum' until further notice.

Why?

If you leave that forum up, all the users, newbies and whoever will be asking these questions...

'When is MyBB 2.0 coming out?'
'Why is it taking so long for MyBB 2.0 to come out?'
'I'm going to switch to (insert competing forum) software because they are taking too long to finish up MyBB 2.0!'
'It can't be too hard to develop MyBB 2.0!'
...etc...
...etc...
...etc...

You get the idea.

Never mind that a lot of people don't understand how long it takes to do the coding/programming/testing... many users don't care about that.

They want results! Period!

Limit the access to 'MyBB 2.0 Development forum' to the developers and Admins.

That way... the developers and Admins don't have to waste valuable time answering those kinds of postings as shown above.