MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The plan is to rewrite the ACP entirely in the future so that it uses Twig templates just like the front end.
Without anyone jumping down my throat and saying "It will be ready when it's ready" can I ask if there is any realistic time frame for a stable release of 1.9 ?

In the first post it says:

Quote:It is planned that 1.9 will be available at least as a beta version within the first quarter (Q1) of 2018

I was hoping for a responsive forum without having to install a theme by the end of this year, but as the beta is way behind schedule that doesn't look like it will happen. Would it be possible to get a new time frame for a beta and stable release so I can tell my members. Or should I be looking at installing a responsive theme on 1.8 ?

Thank you.
(2018-10-26, 12:50 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]Without anyone jumping down my throat and saying "It will be ready when it's ready" can I ask if there is any realistic time frame for a stable release of 1.9 ?

Quote:It is planned that 1.9 will be available at least as a beta version within the first quarter (Q1) of 2018

I was hoping for a responsive forum without having to install a theme by the end of this year, but as the beta is way behind schedule that doesn't look like it will happen. Would it be possible to get a new time frame for a beta and stable release so I can tell my members. Or should I be looking at installing a responsive theme on 1.8 ?

Thank you.

Go ahead and install the responsive theme now. No need to wait for MyBB 1.9.xx to come out.

When 1.9.xx is released, you can always revert back to MyBB default theme before you upgrade to 1.9.xx.
(2018-10-26, 12:50 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]Without anyone jumping down my throat and saying "It will be ready when it's ready" can I ask if there is any realistic time frame for a stable release of 1.9 ?

Thank you.

I will let the team speak about time frames, but I would advise you not to wait. And don't make empty promises to your members - it may make you and MyBB look bad. You have to work with the stable release that is available now, and remember the first release of 1.9 won't be beta, it will be alpha, and you should wait till beta before taking your production site over to a new theme.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a timeframe for you; however, I will say that I would not expect the final version to be released in 2018. The theme is approaching completion (I would estimate it is around 70-80% complete), but separate from the theme, there are back end changes that still need to happen to the theme and template system for 1.9.
@Serpius Good point I hadn't thought of reverting before upgrading. Unfortunately I've not found any responsive themes I'm happy with.

@Ashley1 No I would never make false promises to my members that is why I asked my question, and I certainly wouldn't do anything on my forum to make MyBB look bad. Another good point, I didn't think about Alpha and I would probably wait till .2 anyway.

@Justin Thank you for the honest answer, I appreciate the time and effort you and the MyBB team are putting in to 1.9.

Thank you all for the answers it has helped. I think it would be best for me and my members if I was to announce that I have no plans on changing anything at least till our 9th birthday next May. I can then review the situation and decide from there.

I don't have many complaining about responsive (mostly newbies) and my active members are happy with what they have. The nature of my forum means that people do want to read the content and post questions or replies to support each other so they use tablets or laptops etc. It's just that I had said at the beginning of the year that we could have a responsive forum by the end of the year, but now I will put them right on that.

Thank you.
(2018-10-26, 02:17 PM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]

Unfortunately I cannot provide a timeframe for you; however, I will say that I would not expect the final version to be released in 2018. The theme is approaching completion (I would estimate it is around 70-80% complete), but separate from the theme, there are back end changes that still need to happen to the theme and template system for 1.9.

Why is it taking you so long? I remember hearing one of you say that it was going to be completed by the end of the previous summer. Why not just be honest with people and tell us the real timeframe? If I had known it was going to take this long I would've bought Xenforo a long time ago.

(2018-10-02, 11:58 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-10-02, 10:03 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]Guys please, I'm dying for mybb 1.9. Surely you can release it by November? Blush

What will happen to you if MyBB 1.9.xx is not released in November?

Very funny. It's almost like you people are deliberately trying to push people away from MyBB. Well you are succeeding because I truly am considering changing software if it's not finished by the end of this year. You can't have a non-responsive website nowadays and you know it.
(2018-10-26, 09:22 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]

Why is it taking you so long? I remember hearing one of you say that it was going to be completed by the end of the previous summer. Why not just be honest with people and tell us the real timeframe? If I had known it was going to take this long I would've bought Xenforo a long time ago.

because the entire template system had to be converted to twig and Justin had to redesign the complete default theme..

we can't really put a time frame on the release - we're volunteers and work on the project as our time allows..that's why we always say "when it's ready" so we don't put out unrealistic dates.

(2018-10-02, 11:58 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-10-02, 10:03 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]Guys please, I'm dying for mybb 1.9. Surely you can release it by November? Blush

What will happen to you if MyBB 1.9.xx is not released in November?

Very funny. It's almost like you people are deliberately trying to push people away from MyBB. Well you are succeeding because I truly am considering changing software if it's not finished by the end of this year. You can't have a non-responsive website nowadays and you know it.

mybb.com is responsive. while the software isn't shipping with a responsive theme yet, there's quite a few responsive themes for 1.8 that work just fine for the time being.

Why don't you try redesigning the entire MyBB theme from the ground up in your spare time (while also working a full time job)? Let's see how long it takes you.

The new theme isn't a hacked-together conversion of the current theme made to be responsive. It is a complete redesign with every corner of MyBB seeing changes. It takes time to do it right.
(2018-10-27, 12:31 PM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]

Why don't you try redesigning the entire MyBB theme from the ground up in your spare time (while also working a full time job)? Let's see how long it takes you.

The new theme isn't a hacked-together conversion of the current theme made to be responsive. It is a complete redesign with every corner of MyBB seeing changes. It takes time to do it right.

Then you should have told us from the beginning that it takes a lot of time, instead of saying it will be ready by this, then by that etc... etc... and failing to deliver. Also let's be frank here, two or more part timers should still be able to finish it in under a year.