MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-04-01, 08:12 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The codebase for 1.9 is currently sitting at the same level in terms of bug fixes as 1.8.17. All bugs and security issues that have been patched since then are not patched in the 1.9 codebase yet. This is because we failed to keep the two trees in sync as we worked on the templates. When we talk about rebasing, we're talking about bringing the two branches in sync.
Have you considered manually porting these changes to the develop/1.9 branch? I understand that this means that each fix would have to be implemented in both branches moving forward, but the amount of new and changed code in 1.9 makes rebase an absolutely horrible prospect (as I believe you've mentioned yourself in another post).

On the other hand a manual port seems like something that could be done in a reasonable time. Between 17 and versions that follow you've got around 500, 100, 400, 200, and 400 lines changed on each consecutive upgrade. Yes, porting 1.6k lines of code is error prone but so is conflict resolution when rebasing the code and rebasing won't account for the new places where some of the changes and fixes introduced would have to be added.
(2020-07-03, 04:44 PM)DominikD Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-01, 08:12 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The codebase for 1.9 is currently sitting at the same level in terms of bug fixes as 1.8.17. All bugs and security issues that have been patched since then are not patched in the 1.9 codebase yet. This is because we failed to keep the two trees in sync as we worked on the templates. When we talk about rebasing, we're talking about bringing the two branches in sync.
Have you considered manually porting these changes to the develop/1.9 branch?

That’s what a rebase is, in effect.
That's not what rebase is. Rebase rewrites history (and changes hashes of the existing commits) by applying diffs from a different arm of the code. It isn't interactive unless conflicts are to be resolved. The only benefit over porting changes manually by looking at the totality of differences between different 1.8.xx versions is history preservation. But given the volume of changes on develop branch, this history is going to be very much illusory.
(2020-06-12, 11:41 AM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 was announced in 2017 or 2018.  Meanwhile more than 2 years have passed and nothing or only very slowly happens.

I have already given up hope and will leave the community at the end of the year if there is no clear statement from the team.  I will then turn to any community that is a bit more active and doesn't deliberately eggplant with its members.

MyBB 2.0 was announced in 2012.
(2020-07-23, 12:05 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-06-12, 11:41 AM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 was announced in 2017 or 2018.  Meanwhile more than 2 years have passed and nothing or only very slowly happens.

I have already given up hope and will leave the community at the end of the year if there is no clear statement from the team.  I will then turn to any community that is a bit more active and doesn't deliberately eggplant with its members.

MyBB 2.0 was announced in 2012.
That is even worse.
Is there any update on what the status is, what still has to be done for releasing 1.9?

Would be good for transparency so everybody could chip in and help where needed.
(2020-08-02, 03:44 PM)KevinVR Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any update on what the status is, what still has to be done for releasing 1.9?

Would be good for transparency so everybody could chip in and help where needed.
I think everyone is just being left in the dark. No recent updates, nothing. 

Progress doesn't seem to be going anywhere on github.
(2020-08-02, 03:44 PM)KevinVR Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any update on what the status is, what still has to be done for releasing 1.9?

I have asked Euan to pop by if he gets a sec with a quick update.

(2020-08-02, 07:05 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]

Yep, because the rebase is done locally before being pushed to GitHub. I mean, I don't personally think people are being left in the dark but we are always happy to listen to your views but unfortunately this isn't the thread for it as this is for specific talk on the development of 1.9.

Feel free to open another thread in https://community.mybb.com/forum-19.html or perhaps https://community.mybb.com/forum-135.html if you would prefer to discuss privately.
(2020-08-02, 09:43 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]

I have asked Euan to pop by if he gets a sec with a quick update.

(2020-08-02, 07:05 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]

Yep, because the rebase is done locally before being pushed to GitHub. I mean, I don't personally think people are being left in the dark but we are always happy to listen to your views but unfortunately this isn't the thread for it as this is for specific talk on the development of 1.9.

Feel free to open another thread in https://community.mybb.com/forum-19.html or perhaps https://community.mybb.com/forum-135.html if you would prefer to discuss privately.
People wanting to know an update on the development of 1.9 and no update being given is being left in the dark. I think this thread is fair for that.

What is the progress of this rebase that is being done locally, I think it would be fair for an update at least once a month people feel MyBB is failing and are looking elsewhere because of it don't take my word for it just look at posts on here.
It might be a good addition to the monthly follow up to add any available update on the matter.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-228851.html