MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2022-02-20, 04:38 AM)gamemaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-02-07, 10:19 AM)Pecetowicz Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think there are any chances for MyBB 1.9 to appear in 2022? Smile

nope. just use v1.8 or switch platform. dont put too much expectation on this project.. 

fact, many forum software is dying out there.. just look at vbulletin and ipb..

or hired someone who can make like reddit,quora,or discord base community chat Big Grin

phpBB is still kicking and pushing out updates and has all the basic modern features like responsive, alerts/notification system, and they are actively pushing php 8 improvements.
Sorry… Why don't you close this thread?

It's about 85 pages full of opinions that mostly contribute nothing.
just write the software branch 1.9 it will be ready when haved ready, or tyoe MyBB 1.9 its in development... and close the thread

So users get more anxious, frustrated and the worst thing is that they start to compare it with other software that has nothing to do. People compare forum with chats or social networks, a fiasco this because instead of informing discourages customers.

And that's not to mention how frustrating the change from 1.8 to 1.9 will be as no plugins will work and thema will be completely obsolete by the new  "themplate system".

Just its a opinion…
It's just a personal opinion for me there is no problem to stay with 1.8 I'm happy with it.

I enter to 1.9 thread just to see the comments and I always see how frustrating it is for customers... just close the thread and keep working on 1.9

I have written it and several users, why don't  just release a responsive theme for MyBB 1.8?

It's what most people to developers ask for 1.9. 

but for development the steps… the options…  the customer… is only one step —> upgrade or change forum.

I'm definitely staying on 1.8 I don't want to lose the installed plugins, the customization of all these years, learning to manage the software MyBB 1.8… etc,

I imagine that more than one administrator will be on 1.8, but I'm not sure if I'm going to lose all of MyBB 1.8 Board

I repeat, this is just a personal opinion and I know I'm going to be sent to hell  Big Grin
I don't think closing it would be the right thing to do, but for what it's worth, it we "just released a responsive theme", it would still mean that all existing themes would be incompatible and would need upgrading, so that's a moot point anyway. Releasing a responsive version of the current theme and templates wouldn't make all existing themes, that come with their own packed styles, also be responsive.
[Image: kekw-kek.gif]
Quote:We gonna live on mars until this gets released
This actually is very funny, however, I still think that MyBB is a good project and I hope that the idea to use Laravel will die once and for all.

I suggested years ago to ditch Laravel and remove templates from the database https://community.mybb.com/thread-197947.html but the dev team resisted. Now I suggest to ditch the Twig as it is another bloatware. PHP is a templating engine by itself. Absolutely no need to use Twig. But I totally support using responsive templates irrespective of Twig.

Twig:
<html>
    <body>
        <ul id="navigation">
        {% for item in navigation %}
            <li><a href="{{ item.href }}">{{ item.caption }}</a></li>
        {% endfor %}
        </ul>
    </body>
</html>

PHP
<html>
    <body>
        <ul id="navigation">
        <!-- For item in navigation -->
            <li><a href="<?php echo $item_href ?>"><?php echo $item_caption?></a></li>       
        </ul>
    </body>
</html>
(2022-06-30, 04:24 AM)jimski Wrote: [ -> ]Now I suggest to ditch the Twig as it is another bloatware. PHP is a templating engine by itself. Absolutely no need to use Twig.
This is simply not true. Twig has some advantages and security features. And security is pretty important when it comes to third party themes.
This is just a little note to reassure folk that progress on 1.9 is ongoing - I've pushed some recent commits to my personal 1.9 theme system GitHub MyBB branch here: https://github.com/lairdshaw/mybb/commit...eme-system

Whether my work gets merged with the official dev-1.9 branch is yet to be seen, but here are some of the features I've implemented recently:

1. Support for installing/upgrading a plugin by uploading its archive (zip file) via the ACP's Plugins page. This relies on:
  2. Support for "staging" a plugin by unzipping it to staging/plugins, where the ACP Plugins page detects it.
  3. Auto-archiving of an upgraded plugin's themelet upon the plugin being upgraded.
  4. A plugin.json file into which have been moved the properties previously accessed via the plugin's *_info() function.
  5. Support nevertheless for a dynamic plugin description via a new *_dyndesc() function, since many plugins need to show dynamic information in their panes.
  6. Support for a plugin function to run on upgrade, *_upgrade().

The work continues...
Mybb 1.9 allow users to make their own groups and manage them. With a built in membership feature that allows multiple preset upgrade features with the ability to add more linked to new points and awards.
(2022-06-30, 03:28 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-06-30, 04:24 AM)jimski Wrote: [ -> ]Now I suggest to ditch the Twig as it is another bloatware. PHP is a templating engine by itself. Absolutely no need to use Twig.
This is simply not true. Twig has some advantages and security features. And security is pretty important when it comes to third party themes.

Which part is not true?
1. That PHP can be used as a templating language? Then you may want to read about Wordpress or Joomla which use PHP for templating.
2. Twig is a bloatware because it is an unnecessary addon on top of PHP which is slowing down dispatching of each request. 
3. Twig's security is imaginary. If someone doesn't know how to write secure PHP then he/she shouldn't be writing any commercial code in the first place. BTW Twig is written in PHP Big Grin
4. Not even mentioning that Twig will introduce its own set of bugs and security problems and another unneeded obstacle during a deployment and debugging.
5. If you are concerned about things like <?php echo $item_caption ?> then you can sanitize the variable before sending it to the template or use htmlspecialchars() in the template <?php echo(htmlsepcialchars($item_caption))?>. For more complex HTML output there are third party PHP functions such as htmlawed() which purify/sanitize the output.
6. BTW, Twig claims to be fast, just like Laravel calimed the same nonsense. Here is the comparison of pure PHP vs the Laravel bloatware which should be called "Larval" :-) 
[Image: ruby-on-rails-vs-php-performance.png]
https://www.comentum.com/ruby-on-rails-v...rison.html

Twig causes about 20% performance degradation.

[Image: 1*VzlJqAd9IUBXf6R_q1Uk0Q.jpeg]

https://medium.com/@gotzmann/the-fastest...b461b46296
I think a chart with PHP 5.5 and Laravel 4 is somewhat irrelevant, and using libraries is always going to add a degree of overhead, but you can't realistically build modern applications purely in vanilla PHP, and one of the main reasons to use them is that they take care of common security vulnerabilities for you. No modern software would require you to have to manually handle escaping template variables every time you use them, and pre-escaping assumes everything is defined beforehand and passed through, plus you can't sanitise arrays or JSON objects like that, so you'd still need to escape whatever values you directly output manually. I'm fairly sure Twig, like most template libraries, compile the templates down to raw PHP anyway, so the code that actually runs would broadly be no different to what you'd write manually, it's just a hell of lot simpler to write with a template library. It's 2022 and no modern software still uses vanilla PHP for everything, barring WordPress, but if we're going to use WordPress' code style as some sort of gold standard in 2022 then we really have lost the plot. Out of interest, do you have any examples of any successful and commonly used PHP software other than WordPress that uses no framework or templating libraries at all?
(2022-07-04, 01:33 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I think a chart with PHP 5.5 and Laravel 4 is somewhat irrelevant, and using libraries is always going to add a degree of overhead, but you can't realistically build modern applications purely in vanilla PHP, and one of the main reasons to use them is that they take care of common security vulnerabilities for you. No modern software would require you to have to manually handle escaping template variables every time you use them, and pre-escaping assumes everything is defined beforehand and passed through, plus you can't sanitise arrays or JSON objects like that, so you'd still need to escape whatever values you directly output manually. I'm fairly sure Twig, like most template libraries, compile the templates down to raw PHP anyway, so the code that actually runs would broadly be no different to what you'd write manually, it's just a hell of lot simpler to write with a template library. It's 2022 and no modern software still uses vanilla PHP for everything, barring WordPress, but if we're going to use WordPress' code style as some sort of gold standard in 2022 then we really have lost the plot. Out of interest, do you have any examples of any successful and commonly used PHP software other than WordPress that uses no framework or templating libraries at all?

MyBB is a framework by itself and a pretty light one too. And Wordpress is a pretty good standard to use as a reference in 2022, as it commands 50% of the CMS market. 
I'm not against using third party libraries but Twig is not just some library. It is a freaking parser and compiler which rides on top of PHP while being written in PHP.  
Today, Laravel is still one of the slowest frameworks, although it has gained some speed by proxy because PHP 8 is much faster than PHP 5.5. http://www.phpbenchmarks.com/en/comparator/framework

Actually, Laravel is getting more bloated and slower with each subsequent revision even though PHP is setting new performance records :-)
http://www.phpbenchmarks.com/en/benchmar...el/version

BTW, as far as frameworks and templating engines go, Yii framework is another example that uses PHP for templating which makes it a little lesser bloatware than Laravel.

Here is a funny article on the subject of templating and an interesting discussion.
https://processwire.com/talk/topic/9454-...e-yes-you/