MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-10-28, 05:05 AM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]The free responsive themes are bad and if I had to spend money I might as well buy Xenforo or something else.

But yeah keep arguing with me instead of encouraging them to be honest.

So what are you expecting from 1.9? Free themes won't get any better – albeit I reckon Twig might encourage more devs to publish their work, but that doesn't mean themes will be better-looking. If you want a really beautiful and unique theme you will end up spending some money or your own spare time anyway.

Also, they have been as honest as they could be. They can't set a fixed release date because it's not a full time job and things in life may change really fast. Period. Constantly bragging for a release date is also draining the already thin free time they have because they have to reply to your whines with the same valid arguments every damn time.

Let them work in peace. If you are still here it means you care about MyBB because you know that other free softwares are worse; if you don't care and just want to waste everybody's time, please switch to a paid software or go elsewhere.
delete
You're not doing them a favor whatsoever. It's an open source project run by volunteers, they are not earning money if you use it. It's a matter of passion and reward, which are both definitely put off by such selfish arguments we are forced to read every day. You are asking for something special indeed, given you are begging people to sacrifice more free time for you.
--- please keep up healthy discussion and refrain from posting personal comments ---

* recent posts need a bit of cleaning !
Wow, I was almost lost for words here. I don't understand how you think you're doing us a favour? we are doing you a favour by creating and managing the software in the first place.

By you saying "It's not like I'm asking for something special. Just hurry it up a little. Jesus..." also leads me to notice that you don't know the work required to maintain a software never mind introducing a new version such as 1.9.

By all means post some constructive criticism but all you have done is told us to hurry up without providing any valuable suggestions or contributions. By making posts like you have has the complete opposite effect on hurrying the release along and actually tends to de-motivate and annoy the team when we are doing something out of our free time to give YOU the ability to use the software and we are met with posts like yours.

This is the fastest the project has moved along in a very long time and I am grateful for the work of the whole team on MyBB as you should be.
Justin's work (progress) is visible for all to see, so we can cut him some slack, bearing in mind that the theme is only part of the expected development release.

@lomazzo
Mistakes were made in the past, whereby expectations were raised and then the team failed to deliver, and communicate to the community. Hopefully the team learned from that, because just because the product is free, does not make that acceptable. You can see the effect it has on the uptake of MyBB and also the general quality of postings on the forum.
delete
Well, this thread has derailed a little. Lets keep it civil please.

Lomazzo, MyBB has definitely missed deadlines we've set ourselves in the past, its a consequence of a volunteer project. Sometimes members of the dev team go on vacation, sometimes we just hit what is effectively "writers block". All of these things add unexpected roadblocks to development, that is a fact of life unfortunately.

However, that being said, where did we say we'd have 1.9 out "months ago"? 1.9 wasn't even announced that long ago, on June 28th 2018. Euan initially stated he was hoping to have an alpha release out by the end of 2018 (which by my calculation has 2 months left and we are making good progress). In a little over 4 months, we've essentially rebuilt MyBB's theme from the ground up, a theme that has, in some way shape or form has been around for more than a decade.

MyBB has always had 2 mottos: "free never tasted so good" and "whenever it is ready". Unlike larger softwares like Xenforo, IPB or vBulletin, we don't have a dedicated dev team who are paid for their time. We have always accepted that in comparison our development is very slow. We have always tried to refrain from giving out ETAs for that exact reason.

MyBB 2.0 was planned and hyped for a long time, but a complete rewrite turned out to be both incredibly hard at such a development pace (frameworks we worked with would go through major revisions while we were trying to implement them) but also not what the userbase wanted. For that reason, we chose to put it on hold and focus on the smaller (but not necessarily less important) features our users wanted, like a modern template engine, a responsive theme, and some core functionality seen in many rival softwares.

This will, however, take time. 1.9 is a step in the right direction, and we will continue to keep making steps towards a release. Sure, it might be next month, or it might be next year. Right now it depends on how many hours Euan, Justin and others can put in, but also on how many PR's we get from the wider community.

1.9 will be ready when its ready.
(2018-10-28, 12:57 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Well, this thread has derailed a little. Lets keep it civil please.

Lomazzo, MyBB has definitely missed deadlines we've set ourselves in the past, its a consequence of a volunteer project. Sometimes members of the dev team go on vacation, sometimes we just hit what is effectively "writers block". All of these things add unexpected roadblocks to development, that is a fact of life, unfortunately.

This will, however, take time. 1.9 is a step in the right direction, and we will continue to keep making steps towards a release. Sure, it might be next month, or it might be next year. Right now it depends on how many hours Euan, Justin, and others can put in, but also on how many PR's we get from the wider community.

1.9 will be ready when its ready.

Pretty much what I stated in post #343. Enough said.
Please add this to the bottom of main.css

.mybb-text-success { color: green }
.mybb-text-error { color: #C00 }

Then do a find & replace on all instances of

<span style=\"color: green;\">

replace with

<span class=\"mybb-text-success\">

also

<span style=\"color: #C00\">

replace with

<span class=\"mybb-text-error\">

I am currently patching admin/modules/tools/system_health.php where there are alot of these, but there are other admin modules that have these also.