MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-01-29, 04:01 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 03:33 PM)amanda_2011 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 11:50 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 09:46 AM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi how's it going?

I read that 1.9 is going to look like this:

http://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-theme/

Can you please add "threads" and "posts" in each forum, or just "posts" at least? It would look much better. People are much more likely to join a forum if they see that it has a bunch of posts.

it's a test forum.....

It's the mobile test version, right?

yes, it'll be mobile friendly.

If this is what the New MyBB looks like you guys have ruined it, sorry. Kind of annoying to see you ruining the base you had. Making something Mobile doesn't just mean removing everything and making it look like the #2017 Bootstrap Hype, c'mon guys. We'll all be over that hype soon.

Just remember, updating your software, doesn't mean you have to look like all other sites. MyBB has always had it's own unique style, please don't stray away from it too far. You will loose people..
(2018-03-17, 11:19 PM)jrdev Wrote: [ -> ]If this is what the New MyBB looks like you guys have ruined it, sorry. Kind of annoying to see you ruining the base you had. Making something Mobile doesn't just mean removing everything and making it look like the #2017 Bootstrap Hype, c'mon guys. We'll all be over that hype soon.

Just remember, updating your software, doesn't mean you have to look like all other sites. MyBB has always had it's own unique style, please don't stray away from it too far. You will loose people..

Just Remember MyBB 1.9 its in development.  For my and others users its very fine the software MyBB if you dont like maybe another user yes and can Add new users too.  do not make prejudices without trying or test the software myBB 1.9

If you do not like, this your opinion is fine. but give affirmations about software that is being developed ...

you should  to wait for the release of this version mybb 1.9
(2018-03-17, 11:43 PM)DiegoPino Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-17, 11:19 PM)jrdev Wrote: [ -> ]If this is what the New MyBB looks like you guys have ruined it, sorry. Kind of annoying to see you ruining the base you had. Making something Mobile doesn't just mean removing everything and making it look like the #2017 Bootstrap Hype, c'mon guys. We'll all be over that hype soon.

Just Remember MyBB 1.9 its in development.  For my and others users its very fine the software MyBB if you dont like maybe another user yes and can Add new users too.  do not make prejudices without trying or test the software myBB 1.9

If you do not like this your opinion is fine but give affirmations about software that is being developed ...

you should wait to wait for the release of this version mybb 1.9

I do understand what you're saying and I understand that I also come across as bias, but as a developer I love MyBB and I don't want it to change from what it is, like most other people I know. And forum owners I have spoken too. The update is enough to put me off MyBB I won't lie. I spent this long learning how to master the current methods that MyBB uses and now I'll be re-learning it all which isn't really fun. But hey.. I just don't want the theme to also be ruined. The Original MyBB has style.

I guess we'll all have to wait for release to see what the MyBB staff has in store for us.  My
--- few posts are soft deleted. please refrain from posting personal comments ---

I really don't think that's true. Also I think it would be more fun to work with it, and most of the developers will think the same way. But when you said MyBB had it's own unique style, have you forgotten the changes from 1.6 to 1.8? If you liked the changes then, why does it matter now? I agree about the bootstrap hype, but it is not about the looks, its more about the resource usage.

Quote:I've worked with MyBB since 1.4, grow up. <- snip -> I love the technical side of the updates and the modernization, but why are we destroying the front-end? It looks barebones and let's be real, it just looks like a Flarum Fanboy in MyBB style.

I have been working with MyBB since 1.4 as well. I don't feel the same way. I also think that upcoming updates would be awesome and I feel you are one of the few people who thinks that way.

What I can suggest is to post a poll related to this, Old UI Vs. New UI and see how many votes we get for each.
(2018-03-17, 11:19 PM)jrdev Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 04:01 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 03:33 PM)amanda_2011 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 11:50 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-29, 09:46 AM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi how's it going?

I read that 1.9 is going to look like this:

http://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-theme/

Can you please add "threads" and "posts" in each forum, or just "posts" at least? It would look much better. People are much more likely to join a forum if they see that it has a bunch of posts.

it's a test forum.....

It's the mobile test version, right?

yes, it'll be mobile friendly.

If this is what the New MyBB looks like you guys have ruined it, sorry. Kind of annoying to see you ruining the base you had. Making something Mobile doesn't just mean removing everything and making it look like the #2017 Bootstrap Hype, c'mon guys. We'll all be over that hype soon.

I'm with you man I prefer the older version. I hope they add the "post count" at least.

My perspective. I currently have 6 forums. One on xF 2, four on phpBB3, one on myBB. Those other systems are light years easier to use than myBB from an admin perspective. I understand that change can be hard for some but I would argue that change, in most cases, is needed in order to stay competitive moving forward. Building on an existing functional platform from the 20th century instead of rewriting for the 21st century would be a mistake.

I'm not saying myBB is a bad system just that it's getting left behind in functionality and end user experience when compared to some of the other options. I am also not suggesting change is always a good thing. Look no further than the disaster of vB 4.x to vB 5.x

I personally love the direction that 1.9 is headed in. It's the only reason that I've stuck with myBB. Create a modern, flexible system and devs will follow (eventually).
(2018-03-18, 10:55 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]--- few posts are soft deleted. please refrain from posting personal comments ---

... the main post inviting all 'personal comments' still remained.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-215211...pid1299482
and is inviting 'personal comments' still now.
Will the categories not be collapsible in 1.9 or has that feature just not been implemented on the demo site?
(2018-03-14, 02:21 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-14, 12:57 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-14, 05:04 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]"a matter of grabbing the hand" lmao

@Euantor, I don't know what the official decision stands, but I get the feeling 2.0 development has been (temp) killed/suspended ? I read a enough about what the plans for 1.9, 1.10, etc. are but pretty much nothing about 2.0 turn of what is already written.

The current position is that 2.0 is put on hold (suspended), with iterative development work on smaller versions with big changes (1.9, 1.10, 1.11) being the preferred approach. Work on 2.0 was progressing extremely slowly due to the limited number of developers and the limited free time those developers could contribute. Smaller releases are easier for developers to work on and are easier to test (and hopefully upgrades will be easier this way too...).

If that is true regarding the position of MyBB 2.0, I highly suggest that the developers and Admins of MyBB.com suspend 'MyBB 2.0 Development forum' until further notice.

Why?

If you leave that forum up, all the users, newbies and whoever will be asking these questions...

'When is MyBB 2.0 coming out?'
'Why is it taking so long for MyBB 2.0 to come out?'
'I'm going to switch to (insert competing forum) software because they are taking too long to finish up MyBB 2.0!'
'It can't be too hard to develop MyBB 2.0!'
...etc...
...etc...
...etc...

You get the idea.

Never mind that a lot of people don't understand how long it takes to do the coding/programming/testing... many users don't care about that.

They want results! Period!

Limit the access to 'MyBB 2.0 Development forum' to the developers and Admins.

That way... the developers and Admins don't have to waste valuable time answering those kinds of postings as shown above.
The status of the 2.0 forum has been discussed in the past. There are a lot of threads with feedback and suggestions currently in that forum, and the vast majority of them are still valid even with the new direction. We started moving and copying some threads over to the new 1.x forum, but there are a lot of them to move.

I know the current situation is confusing, and it's something we're planning to fix when we have the time to finish moving/copying threads and categorising them. The 2.0 forum is currently closed to new threads (and has been since the decision to focus on 1.x was made) and purely exists as a reference at the current time.

(2018-03-18, 05:54 PM)iAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]Will the categories not be collapsible in 1.9 or has that feature just not been implemented on the demo site?

There's a lot missing in the example site Justin is working on, but I have no idea if he plans to keep collapsible categories. I'd hope so, eprsonally.