MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-03-26, 10:47 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that does turn me off is that there are over 50 open pull requests on the repository.  PHP 8 is one thing that apparently is holding back the 1.9 series.  There was a pull request that fixed a bunch of these and was merged a couple months ago.  This would have been before the last minor version release, yet the changes were not included in the last release.  I wasted my own time solving PHP 8 issues in global.php only to find out that those changes were already applied in a different pull request.  I'd like the chance to have my plugins have a branch that is written in PHP 8 to take advantage of the increased speed and named arguments for starters. Until the MyBB core is written as PHP 8 compliant, there is no point for me to do so.

The problem with having so many open pull requests is that by the time some of those requests get approved, conflicts arise due to files changing.  This makes proposing changes harder because contributors should not have to look through open pull requests to update any files they might be using so there is no conflict.  I believe having smaller, but more frequent pull requests would make this easier to deal with because there would be less to review on each individual request.  As an example, maybe have a pull request that fixes PHP 8 issues in just 2 files rather than 84.

Yes, thats why many devs/contributors left the board or just do not wanna contribute... fix merge conflicts is just waste of time. There are many opened PR with few lines fixes and simple test procedure, why dont you merge them one by one?!
(2021-03-27, 01:05 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]maybe he prefers it to be an extension or plugin as it is in mybb 1.8

I think he means he doesn't like the Xenforo "full on" alert system but he likes MyBB notification system.

@Raion do you mean you prefer the (PM and email) notification system rather than a "push notifications (desktop)" one?
(2021-03-27, 09:28 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]@Raion, what do you mean with Xenforo alert system being "full on".?

It uses constantly running Javascript to poll the page and push alerts either to the desktop or to the page live. I do not care for complexity or a forum to rely on javascript for basic operations - login is forgivable, but i don't want constant auto-refresh or polling. 

(2021-03-27, 03:37 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]The current notification system is outdated and simply trash. This is 2021 not 2000

You cannot expect MyBB or any other forum software to continue into the future if it does not adopt modern standards. You really think people are going to want to check their email to see if someone replied to a post?. 

If I am not mistaken the alert system is already built into 1.9 so it would be counter productive to remove it. I am sure they can have an option for people to enable it or disable it if they want.

It's not in 1.9 - and I don't want to be forced to use Xenforo-style notifications so we're forking after 1.9 receives no security updates. As someone else corrected you, the alert system was for 1.10

(2021-03-30, 01:40 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I think he means he doesn't like the Xenforo "full on" alert system but he likes MyBB notification system.

@Raion do you mean you prefer the (PM and email) notification system rather than a "push notifications (desktop)" one?

Yes, and I hate Xenforo's "Conversation" structure since it straddles the line between PMs and chats. I prefer traditional PMs - I'm running a forum, not a discord or IRC chat.

Simplicity, security, performance. Those are important to me. Not bloat or featurefulness. As Furious derided, I do run my forums as if it's 2003, just with minor convenience upgrades and such. I prefer for things to be well-thought out in that way.
3+ years on from this thread being created, and we've not seen 1.9. 2.0 was never going to happen, I joined in 2012 and it was "only a year or so away". We're still debating whether or not we should include alerts, threaded PMs. Last June the team celebrated closing a 6 year old issue (which was pushed back from 1.8.1 to 1.8.27!).

I understand that the team can't work on MyBB as if it's a full-time job, I really do. But 8+ years of neglect? And having a non-responsive, table-based design in 2021?

A fork can't come soon enough.
I have the utmost respect for everyone behind this project, appreciate that it is done in their free time, and there is no monetary gain. That doesn't deter from the fact that this has now dragged on for so long, it's becoming hard to justify what is going in. 2.0 abandoned (fair enough), 1.9 becoming something akin to vapourware (vapourware based on Twig apparently)

In hindsight, I question the approach to 1.9; 2.0 was abandoned because it was deemed easier to do 1.9, but 1.9 seems to have been a massive project on its own. surely a simple progressive update from 1.8 would have been better; it didn't need much work, and (layman here!) I simply can't see why it needed to be completely reworked into a "1.9". I mean, what the hell is Twig, and why does it matter? 1.8 was obviously fine without it, and it has apparently been a fantastical large exercise and burden on the development team. Its implementation seems to have had the same amount of work as if you just jumped to 2.0 - I can't begin to understand any of this TBH. The way that phpBB has developed their v3 (also deciding against a v4) seems to be a much better progression with no big leaps, just progressive updates and has come on leaps and bounds since MyBB 1.9 was even announced

The problem I see now is that the community are losing interest and I fear that alone will see the development of 1.9 cease, because of the lack of interest

My biggest fear here is that myBB is going to become abandoned or close to deserted. Whilst 1.9 is being developed, I'm sure there is little reason to attend to 1.8 other than security updates, but I think at this point I just want to see some attention to the software my forum actually uses. It is becoming ever so tempting to migrate to phpBB 😔

This is not a criticism, just an observation, much of it with the benefit of hindsight so is unfair - I thank everybody who continues to develop the software and do hope that I will be eating my hat in future months (or years.. decades...?)
(2021-04-11, 02:02 AM)Krytic Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that the team can't work on MyBB as if it's a full-time job, I really do. But 8+ years of neglect? And having a non-responsive, table-based design in 2021?

A slow development cycle doesn't equal neglect - that will happen when only about 3 people actively contribute to development. A modern, responsive, non-table-based design has already been completed - the last I was aware was the ACP needed some updates to be compatible with it, but again, that can only go so fast when you can count the number of active developers on one hand.

(2021-04-11, 01:06 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]In hindsight, I question the approach to 1.9; 2.0 was abandoned because it was deemed easier to do 1.9, but 1.9 seems to have been a massive project on its own. surely a simple progressive update from 1.8 would have been better; it didn't need much work, and (layman here!) I simply can't see why it needed to be completely reworked into a "1.9". I mean, what the hell is Twig, and why does it matter? 1.8 was obviously fine without it, and it has apparently been a fantastical large exercise and burden on the development team. Its implementation seems to have had the same amount of work as if you just jumped to 2.0 - I can't begin to understand any of this TBH. The way that phpBB has developed their v3 (also deciding against a v4) seems to be a much better progression with no big leaps, just progressive updates and has come on leaps and bounds since MyBB 1.9 was even announced

1.8 > 1.9 is a progressive update, as it primarily focusses on the theming and templating system. That is the headline change of 1.9, but it's inherently a big job. 1.9 being easier than 2.0 doesn't necessarily mean that 1.9 would be a couple of months work - it's easier to go to the moon than to Mars but is still a big undertaking.

Twig is a modern template engine and is significantly better than rendering templates with eval() as MyBB does currently. It would allow for conditionals in templates which a lot of people have asked for, make it easier to loop through data without having to concatenate templates in plugins. It would mean a lot of functionality that currently requires plugins could be done with simple template edits.

phpBB also likely has more than 3 people working on it, a point I keep coming back to, because it seems to keep needing to be made. If we had 10-15 active contributors, 1.9 would have been released years ago. No level of work is going to get done in a decent timeframe if nobody is working on it.

(2021-04-11, 01:06 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]Whilst 1.9 is being developed, I'm sure there is little reason to attend to 1.8 other than security updates, but I think at this point I just want to see some attention to the software my forum actually uses.

I believe 1.8 will soon move to security updates and major bug fixes only, and once Euan finishes rebasing the repo, all efforts will be on getting 1.9 finalised. It's closer than people think.
Thanks to the developers for your work Heart
I don’t think there should be so many complaints. Mybb 1.8 has been perfectly matched with a responsive theme, we just need to be patient and wait for the arrival of 1.9 Big Grin
(2021-04-11, 02:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I believe 1.8 will soon move to security updates and major bug fixes only, and once Euan finishes rebasing the repo, all efforts will be on getting 1.9 finalised. It's closer than people think.

I think it could be clearer the state of rebase progress.
many will look at the link below end up thinking that things stopped in time.
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3687

do not take this as criticism, it is just a suggestion to show the community that progress is being made in the development of 1.9.
(2021-04-12, 07:54 AM)akimoe Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to the developers for your work Heart
I don’t think there should be so many complaints. Mybb 1.8 has been perfectly matched with a responsive theme, we just need to be patient and wait for the arrival of 1.9 Big Grin

Which theme?  Is it freely available and supported by the MyBB team?  Not that cost is the major consideration.  Expense of adapting a given custom theme far outweighs its initial fees.

Normally, I stay out of this thread - but agree a little too much is made of responsive 1.8 themes.  For us - this is only part of the challenge.  Our board has been with MyBB for going on 8 years, and well established in our subject area.  Certain features are a must have.  Responsive without those features does us no good.

Nor am I inclined to rely on an individual theme developer to adapt a theme to our needs - and keep it current.  Options may become clear in time, as 1.8 transits to maintenance mode.  1.9 for existing boards is a great unknown to me, I've seen little discussion on migration paths etc.  Perhaps not looking in the right place, or missed it entirely.

For now, I'm content to keep an eye on developments, and adopt a let's wait and see approach.  Critical path issues will perhaps become evident for all those established boards like ours.  

MyBB has made it possible to be a viable presence with the increased competition from well funded platforms.  What the future holds - just not sure.  Maybe the day of small independent BBS' is over?  I don't have all the answers, but know the MyBB team has always tread a delicate path.  For this - they have my support.
(2021-04-12, 10:26 AM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-12, 07:54 AM)akimoe Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to the developers for your work Heart

Which theme?  Is it freely available and supported by the MyBB team?  Not that cost is the major consideration.  Expense of adapting a given custom theme far outweighs its initial fees.

Normally, I stay out of this thread - but agree a little too much is made of responsive 1.8 themes.  For us - this is only part of the challenge.  Our board has been with MyBB for going on 8 years, and well established in our subject area.  Certain features are a must have.  Responsive without those features does us no good.

Nor am I inclined to rely on an individual theme developer to adapt a theme to our needs - and keep it current.  Options may become clear in time, as 1.8 transits to maintenance mode.  1.9 for existing boards is a great unknown to me, I've seen little discussion on migration paths etc.  Perhaps not looking in the right place, or missed it entirely.

For now, I'm content to keep an eye on developments, and adopt a let's wait and see approach.  Critical path issues will perhaps become evident for all those established boards like ours.  

MyBB has made it possible to be a viable presence with the increased competition from well funded platforms.  What the future holds - just not sure.  Maybe the day of small independent BBS' is over?  I don't have all the answers, but know the MyBB team has always tread a delicate path.  For this - they have my support.

Hi, nixer55. Sorry for what I may not express clearly, I am using Volare Responsive this theme. For me it works well, it is perfect Big Grin