MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-03-13, 01:18 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Again, as I stated in my post if Iabrocca wants to fork MyBB, let him do it.

Yes, sure, and that's fine, although I think that labrocca's offer to buy the intellectual property rights to MyBB from Chris is a much more sensible approach. That way, the community stays united - only the project owner changes - and it seems that the current project owner has been ... kind of absent for a long period? Which is ... not so helpful to the community? Of which I am admittedly only a relatively new member.

(2021-03-13, 01:18 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of giving money to MyBB, he should keep that money as seed money to get the MyBB fork going and promote it through his website and other online sources.

Yes. I just wonder whether and if so how he expects a return on that money? Sorry, labrocca, I'm not yet familiar with your role in this community nor the board you run yourself. Maybe the investment would pay for itself in the sense that you would have a stable and growing software base for your own board, which is making its own money that can easily be funnelled into MyBB development licensed freely under the LGPL for everybody? In that case, I think that your taking over this project would be a win-win scenario. But again, I'm only relatively new here, so my opinion is probably uninformed and probably doesn't count for much.

(2021-03-13, 01:18 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I took a quick look at the staff and some of the Last Visit dates, many of them are Hidden, but 1 of them have not been seen in over a year, 2 of them not seen since August 2020. That's a bit concerning to me. Lack of participation and motivation from those 3.

Fair enough. I get where you're coming from there. Those stats can be spun differently though. For example, try this perspective on for size: of the staff who do not have their Last Visit date hidden, 70% of them (7/10) have visited this forum within the past two weeks. That doesn't detract from your observation, it just points to the fact that sometimes it's a matter of perspective...
My POV:

MyBB going proprietary would sink the ship and is impractical for the reasons previously specified.

I for one am fine with the pace, just hope it comes sooner or later for the sake of those who keep whining about it. It's getting incredibly obxnoxious. Go fork MyBB if you want to take it in a different direction, otherwise, let it be. As long as we can get 1.9.x EVENTUALLY I don't care at this point. It's faster and more performant for my setup than ANYTHING else on the market for now.
(2021-03-11, 08:14 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]There are some strange things in this whole conversation.
Wasn't the theme conversion practically ready?
Wasn't it just missing rebase with mybb 1.8 to launch the alpha version of 1.9?
I know you were looking to put myalerts and a new editor on 1.9, but it can be done later, right?

The only problem I see is that we have no news of the progress of the rebase that is being done locally.

if I'm not mistaken, the 1.9 rebase is in sync with mybb 1.8.23 or 1.8.24. the bigger rebase is going to be when 1.8.27 is released since .25 and .26 were just security fixes on their own.
(2021-03-17, 12:27 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-11, 08:14 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]There are some strange things in this whole conversation.
I know you were looking to put myalerts and a new editor on 1.9, but it can be done later, right?

The only problem I see is that we have no news of the progress of the rebase that is being done locally.

if I'm not mistaken, the 1.9 rebase is in sync with mybb 1.8.23 or 1.8.24. the bigger rebase is going to be when 1.8.27 is released since .25 and .26 were just security fixes on their own.

Thank you very much for the relevant information.
When the rebase becomes complete, wouldn't it always be better to keep both in sync to avoid this kind of work or would it be very difficult?
(2021-03-17, 05:19 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]

if I'm not mistaken, the 1.9 rebase is in sync with mybb 1.8.23 or 1.8.24.  the bigger rebase is going to be when 1.8.27 is released since .25 and .26 were just security fixes on their own.

When the rebase becomes complete, wouldn't it always be better to keep both in sync to avoid this kind of work or would it be very difficult?

I think that's the eventual goal, yes.
(2021-03-17, 05:52 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-17, 05:19 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]

if I'm not mistaken, the 1.9 rebase is in sync with mybb 1.8.23 or 1.8.24.  the bigger rebase is going to be when 1.8.27 is released since .25 and .26 were just security fixes on their own.

I think that's the eventual goal, yes.

thanks again for clearing up my doubts. Smile
FYI I saw this for those interested: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1423

It's possible once he's finished that this could get merged in for 1.8 IF you guys are nice in asking about it.
(2021-03-13, 12:02 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-12, 07:14 PM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]... nobody raised funds or paid for a responsive theme that is available to all.

Not true.

Ideas were put forward by the community. money also offered. 

Even now the team has the option of building a theme for the 1.8 series, it was always the option of least amount of work, while development into a new iteration was being done.

Just adopt Bootstrap for the 1.8 series and build a theme. Bootstrap is a quality product, and will make the users happy.

I remember you did a mybb template using bootstrap which I really liked. What happened to it?
I gave up. There is no proper documentation to build a responsive theme.
(2021-03-23, 03:28 PM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]I gave up. There is no proper documentation to build a responsive theme.
I wouldn't even make one for 1.8, I don't think at this point anyone is going to want to put the time and energy into making a bug free responsive theme for MyBB when they are anticipating 1.9. 

I will be working on a phpBB theme.