MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-03-15, 04:48 PM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:36 PM)@abdurhman@ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:33 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:30 PM)@abdurhman@ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:15 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Taking money isn't going to be a magic bullet, but we do have a donations platform: https://opencollective.com/mybb

I have supported you. What will I get?
A nice warm feeling inside and a thank you.

Not logical, I donate for nothing Huh

Everybody please be realistic. No miracles can be expected from donations. I don't expect a miracle either, but I finally expect a clear statement from the team with a realistic time.

I know what the donation is
But a technical question ..
Responsive template design does it take three years?

Donated to support the team
(2020-03-15, 05:27 PM)@abdurhman@ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:33 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:30 PM)@abdurhman@ Wrote: [ -> ]I have supported you. What will I get?
A nice warm feeling inside and a thank you.

Everybody please be realistic. No miracles can be expected from donations. I don't expect a miracle either, but I finally expect a clear statement from the team with a realistic time.

A responsive theme alone? No. Rewriting the whole template system, creating a reponsive theme, introducing modern password hashing, introducing Composer for dependency management, introducing unit tests, updating the mail sending system, updating the plugin system, etc. all take much longer. Add to that maintaining 1.8, handling support requests, handling emails, handling username changes, and all the other tasks that we have to do just to keep things running and time becomes extremely limited.
(2020-03-15, 05:48 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 05:27 PM)@abdurhman@ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 04:33 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]A nice warm feeling inside and a thank you.

A responsive theme alone? No. Rewriting the whole template system, creating a reponsive theme, introducing modern password hashing, introducing Composer for dependency management, introducing unit tests, updating the mail sending system, updating the plugin system, etc. all take much longer. Add to that maintaining 1.8, handling support requests, handling emails, handling username changes, and all the other tasks that we have to do just to keep things running and time becomes extremely limited.

I am not talking about reprogramming the script again .. this is a different topic
I speak design and coding a template on a system, is it difficult!
Given the decision was made to do all of the above, yes, you are talking about all of the above.
Quote:Taking money isn't going to be a magic bullet, but we do have a donations platform

I disagree. And it's not a matter of someone taking the money. It's a matter of hiring the right person who will accept the responsibility of the job. And if it's not done, they get fired and someone else is hired. Current devs can easily decide to be volunteers. But paid and dedicated devs are needed imho.

I think we'd all donate more money to the project if we KNEW it meant speedy development. But all indications to the community has been that money isn't a solution for the current team. If that doesn't change, where will this project be in 2 years?

Quote:I have supported you. What will I get?

You will get nothing. Development will not be an faster. If you donated $5 or $500 per month that's what you can expect.

Quote:Not logical, I donate for nothing

That's right. And sure, a donation means you're supporting the project. But at this point it doesn't seem like this is a project under development that needs funding. Example is that without my donations on my site I might have to get rid of my paid developer, or get rid of my Cloudflare business account. Basically members know that without income my site shuts down. With MyBB, there is no connection to revenue with the project. Which is an issue.

MyBB is this amazing project but it's completely stagnant. The development that does occur is at a slower rate than changes to the technical aspects needed by updates.

Quote:Everybody please be realistic. No miracles can be expected from donations. I don't expect a miracle either, but I finally expect a clear statement from the team with a realistic time.

I'll give you realistic. Try building up $2k+ a month in donations for a couple part-time developers to get 1.9x released within 90 days. Imagine a team blog saying "Fund Raising $5k for Paid Developers".

Quote:Responsive template design does it take three years?

Eaun made the reply on this and it's what I think is frustrating. They continue to want more done than they can deliver in a timely manner. Everyone wants just one major thing and that's a responsive design by default. Instead MyBB team has initiated changes well past that simple goal. Which slows down development, causes more bugs, and might eventually mean it never gets done. I've made these arguments again and again and years are passing where it's obvious I was right then and I am right now. If MyBB does not get paid developers and push huge for release then this project dies within 2 years.

I'm considering forking 1.8x rather than allowing the project to die. I already have a ton of amazing alterations to MyBB that would be base for a fork. It's not set in stone but I'm watching and waiting to see what MyBB does. I don't want the burden but I care enough and I see a need.

Just read this thread from 27 months ago.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-214721.html

Everyone respects MyBB team, we understand what's involved in development. It is not easy. But at some point you must recognize that the needs of the community are not being met. What is being done, just ain't good enough.
(2020-03-15, 10:00 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Taking money isn't going to be a magic bullet, but we do have a donations platform

I disagree. And it's not a matter of someone taking the money. It's a matter of hiring the right person who will accept the responsibility of the job. And if it's not done, they get fired and someone else is hired.  Current devs can easily decide to be volunteers. But paid and dedicated devs are needed imho.

I think we'd all donate more money to the project if we KNEW it meant speedy development. But all indications to the community has been that money isn't a solution for the current team.  If that doesn't change, where will this project be in 2 years?

Quote:I have supported you. What will I get?

You will get nothing. Development will not be an faster.  If you donated $5 or $500 per month that's what you can expect.

Quote:Not logical, I donate for nothing

That's right.  And sure, a donation means you're supporting the project. But at this point it doesn't seem like this is a project under development that needs funding. Example is that without my donations on my site I might have to get rid of my paid developer, or get rid of my Cloudflare business account.  Basically members know that without income my site shuts down.  With MyBB, there is no connection to revenue with the project.  Which is an issue. 

MyBB is this amazing project but it's completely stagnant.  The development that does occur is at a slower rate than changes to the technical aspects needed by updates. 

Quote:Everybody please be realistic. No miracles can be expected from donations. I don't expect a miracle either, but I finally expect a clear statement from the team with a realistic time.

I'll give you realistic.  Try building up $2k+ a month in donations for a couple part-time developers to get 1.9x released within 90 days.  Imagine a team blog saying "Fund Raising $5k for Paid Developers". 

Quote:Responsive template design does it take three years?

Eaun made the reply on this and it's what I think is frustrating.  They continue to want more done than they can deliver in a timely manner.  Everyone wants just one major thing and that's a responsive design by default.  Instead MyBB team has initiated changes well past that simple goal.  Which slows down development, causes more bugs, and might eventually mean it never gets done.  I've made these arguments again and again and years are passing where it's obvious I was right then and I am right now.  If MyBB does not get paid developers and push huge for release then this project dies within 2 years. 

I'm considering forking 1.8x rather than allowing the project to die. I already have a ton of amazing alterations to MyBB that would be base for a fork.  It's not set in stone but I'm watching and waiting to see what MyBB does.  I don't want the burden but I care enough and I see a need.

Just read this thread from 27 months ago.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-214721.html

Everyone respects MyBB team, we understand what's involved in development.  It is not easy.  But at some point you must recognize that the needs of the community are not being met.  What is being done, just ain't good enough.
Big Grin
A note has been sent by Google
It tells me there is a problem with mobile browsing
[Image: 158452080723641.jpg]
We've had some discussions about how to speed along development and think we may have came up with a pretty decent solution...more details to follow shortly, likely from Euan or devilshakerz.

@labrocca, someone from the dev team may be in contact soon enough.
(2020-03-18, 09:53 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]We've had some discussions about how to speed along development and think we may have came up with a pretty decent solution...more details to follow shortly, likely from Euan or devilshakerz.

@labrocca, someone from the dev team may be in contact soon enough.

At present
It is possible to use a plug-in :
https://www.tapatalk.com/

Members will be able to browse the site through the application, not through the browser
temporary solution
===================
Also here is a problem
It should prevent spiders from indexing post and comments on the topic like this link:
https://www.anime-network.net/thread-7-post-9.html#pid9
https://www.anime-network.net/thread-7-post-9.html

Indexing is for this link only
https://www.anime-network.net/thread-7.html
So that is duplicate content
^ for duplicate content, spiders are intelligent to ignore internal # links

also robots.txt needs to be used (see all replies here)

for mobile compatibility, a responsive theme needs to be used as the default theme (for all user groups)

freely available responsive themes => Link
(2020-03-19, 02:21 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ for duplicate content, spiders are intelligent to ignore internal # links

also robots.txt needs to be used (see all replies here)

for mobile compatibility, a responsive theme needs to be used as the default theme (for all user groups)

freely available responsive themes => Link

All tried

Not good, there are issues that need to be updated

https://community.mybb.com/thread-226931.html