MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I kinda hope that MyBB will become responsive on 1.9 and that Xthreads could be working on that MyBB version, or that the community (MyBB Groups) make it possible that 1.9 to have a downloads folder and gallery folder so that it is up to the administrator of the forum that they can enable or disable it, I think a feature for this by MyBB should be great and I am sure many of the MyBB users will going to use it. I have faith in you Developers that you can make 1.9 finally work in a couple of months.
If Xthreads doesn't work on 1.8 or PHP 8, that won't be fixed in MyBB 1.9. We can't do anything to support plugins that don't work on newer PHP versions, it's 3rd party code.
It's a shame Laird's resignation as a developer and not incorporating his commits will only delay the 1.9 release even further. If it ever gets released.
The development team leader is missing, the only one who was running the project actually leaves the team.

I honestly lost all hope of seeing 1.9 released one day....

Anyway, thank you very much Laird for all your dedication while you were on the mybb development team. Most likely you should have left the team due to a disagreement with another team member since you wouldn't leave the team without incorporating the commits .
Hey @martec,

You're right (if I understand you correctly) that I wouldn't have left the team had my 1.9 theme development branch been merged (even if to later be modified significantly), but my parting wasn't on bad terms, and I recognise the validity of the opposing priority: to follow correct and careful procedures rather than to get the job done quickly. Not everybody agrees that expediting the release of 1.9 is (should be) the highest priority, and it was my choice to go it alone to an extent, modifying via code some of that which had been laid out in the spec, so I'm willing to wear the consequence of that choice: a reluctance to incorporate my code as-is. That consequence did, though, in turn lead to my parting, because I didn't want to remain officially a part of a team in which I was unable to achieve the #1 goal that I had set for myself on joining MyBB staff: the expediting of 1.9, which I thought was most plausibly achieved by merging my branch (again, even if to subsequently be modified).

I very much appreciate your positive affirmation and your thanks, however, I don't think it's fair to say that I was "running" the project - I was just the one most visibly producing code for the 1.9 theme system infrastructure. I expect that others will now produce alternative code, potentially picking and choosing the bits that they like from my code. It will take some time, but I think that the team will get there in the end.
(2023-01-21, 04:30 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Hey @martec,

You're right (if I understand you correctly) that I wouldn't have left the team had my 1.9 theme development branch been merged (even if to later be modified significantly), but my parting wasn't on bad terms, and I recognise the validity of the opposing priority: to follow correct and careful procedures rather than to get the job done quickly. Not everybody agrees that expediting the release of 1.9 is (should be) the highest priority, and it was my choice to go it alone to an extent, modifying via code some of that which had been laid out in the spec, so I'm willing to wear the consequence of that choice: a reluctance to incorporate my code as-is. That consequence did, though, in turn lead to my parting, because I didn't want to remain officially a part of a team in which I was unable to achieve the #1 goal that I had set for myself on joining MyBB staff: the expediting of 1.9, which I thought was most plausibly achieved by merging my branch (again, even if to subsequently be modified).

I very much appreciate your positive affirmation and your thanks, however, I don't think it's fair to say that I was "running" the project - I was just the one most visibly producing code for the 1.9 theme system infrastructure. I expect that others will now produce alternative code, potentially picking and choosing the bits that they like from my code. It will take some time, but I think that the team will get there in the end.

Thanks for the answer. Please do not take the following "answers" "personal" but rather "all current mybb staff".
I will never really be able to understand the opposite opinion to yours that there are people who are against accelerating the development of mybb 1.9.
In all of 2022 except for your development that most of it was not incorporated is derisory, it was practically just incorporating the 1.8 commits.
Sorry but if the same pace as last year continues, not even in 2030 mybb 1.9 will be released.
(2023-01-22, 01:36 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for the answer. Please do not take the following "answers" "personal" but rather "all current mybb staff".
I will never really be able to understand the opposite opinion to yours that there are people who are against accelerating the development of mybb 1.9.
In all of 2022 except for your development that most of it was not incorporated is derisory, it was practically just incorporating the 1.8 commits.
Sorry but if the same pace as last year continues, not even in 2030 mybb 1.9 will be released.

I mean for a free platform with people who work on it most likely having real jobs, I can see why there is no rush
(2023-01-22, 02:22 AM)jdmefsir Wrote: [ -> ]

I mean for a free platform with people who work on it most likely having real jobs, I can see why there is no rush

That's not what I'm talking about please don't misunderstand. The criticism is that the right course is to have almost no progress in a year. By the way, it's not a year, it's been years since there has been relevant progress.
(2023-01-22, 03:20 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-22, 02:22 AM)jdmefsir Wrote: [ -> ]

That's not what I'm talking about please don't misunderstand. The criticism is that the right course is to have almost no progress in a year. By the way, it's not a year, it's been years since there has been relevant progress.

I don't agree personally. There has been some good progress but I agree that the progress hasn't been good enough. I'm not going to share my personal opinions on here but I'm sure I speak for the whole team when I say Lairds progress was a fantastic contribution to the development of 1.9 and I also would say that it was a shame Laird left and I was personally disappointed but respect his right to choose.

On one last small note, I've deleted a comment from here that just bashed the team/1.9 and had no actual discussion about 1.9, which isn't really the purpose of the thread. If you would like to share these views then you can open a thread in the general discussion section. If you have actual discussions about 1.9 like the posts above mine then feel free to continue here Smile
(2023-01-21, 04:30 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]You're right (if I understand you correctly) that I wouldn't have left the team had my 1.9 theme development branch been merged (even if to later be modified significantly), but my parting wasn't on bad terms, and I recognise the validity of the opposing priority: to follow correct and careful procedures rather than to get the job done quickly. Not everybody agrees that expediting the release of 1.9 is (should be) the highest priority, and it was my choice to go it alone to an extent, modifying via code some of that which had been laid out in the spec, so I'm willing to wear the consequence of that choice: a reluctance to incorporate my code as-is. That consequence did, though, in turn lead to my parting, because I didn't want to remain officially a part of a team in which I was unable to achieve the #1 goal that I had set for myself on joining MyBB staff: the expediting of 1.9, which I thought was most plausibly achieved by merging my branch (again, even if to subsequently be modified).

Sorry, just to be completely clear, are 'we' seriously at the "Push people away who both want to help, and do the work" stage?

Ouch.