MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if this was mentioned:

We need a modern theme (fully responsive, probably bootstrap or foundation).
We need a modern editor (the current one is k@k).
We need SEO/routing build right into the core, it's 2018, thread-666-page-600.html is 2006.
(2018-09-14, 11:58 AM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this was mentioned:

We need a modern theme (fully responsive, probably bootstrap or foundation).
We need a modern editor (the current one is k@k).
We need SEO/routing build right into the core, it's 2018, thread-666-page-600.html is 2006.

#1 = Already planned - Light and dark versions
#2 = Planned, not certain if it will be included the first release of 1.9.xx, but will be included in that series.
#3 = There is a GREAT plugin that does the job now, Google SEO. No need to re-write MyBB core for this when there is a plugin available for this.
What is the last 1.8.xx release, before we go to 1.9?

#3, no need for a plugin to handle a core function.

(2018-09-14, 12:42 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]#2 = Planned, not certain if it will be included the first release of 1.9.xx, but will be included in that series.
#3 = There is a GREAT plugin that does the job now, Google SEO. No need to re-write MyBB core for this when there is a plugin available for this.
I complained about the lack of "pretty URLs" too (semantic URLs with titles), but then I realized they are not as important as I used to think. I always tend to read URLs, and I might be wrong but apparently a lot of people don't really care, don't read them, and even prefer shorter URLs to share (like URL shorteners). As for SEO, it definitely helps to have keywords in URLs, but nowadays it probably has a much smaller impact compared to titles and contents. So I think I can live without it, for now.

However I agree that it would be good to have this feature in the core, not as a plugin. Plugins generally increase the complexity of updates and make "patch management" harder, so they should be used for "minor" features that, if anything goes wrong, you can live without. URLs can't stop working or there will be a mess, that's why it would be a "core" function and it should be in the core. But I know this isn't going to be implemented, so complaining is useless and I'll keep my numeric URLs.

Let's also say that there are probably much more important and interesting things to implement in the core, for example a "mention system" (which is planned for 1.10 I guess), something that allows users to be notified when someone quotes them or mentions them, etc. That's something users would be interested in MUCH more than readable URLs.
(2018-09-14, 05:38 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]What is the last 1.8.xx release, before we go to 1.9?

(2018-09-14, 12:42 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]#2 = Planned, not certain if it will be included the first release of 1.9.xx, but will be included in that series.

1.8 will be supported and maintained for a while after 1.9 is released.
We really need a better editor.

So does this mean 1.9 will be released whilst 1.8 is active?

What I am trying to ask is what is the last release of 1.8 before we upgrade to 1.9?

Will we be able to upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9?

I am 90% on my way to merge to XenForo, but a part of me wants to stick to mybb.

(2018-09-15, 12:06 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-14, 05:38 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]What is the last 1.8.xx release, before we go to 1.9?

(2018-09-14, 11:34 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-14, 11:23 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-14, 11:16 AM)codedude Wrote: [ -> ]Will plugins from 1.8 be compatible with 1.9?

No. Plugins are nothing to worry about. They will come around as soon as a responsive theme is released.

For the most part that is true, however, there are a few plugins that I have read about that are NOT compatible with the newer versions of PHP 7.x.x. 

Some of the plugins were created during the PHP 5.x.x days and have not been upgraded to be compatible with 7.x.x. 

Just be aware of this possible limitation.

Themes? Well... that's a different story. 
Many themes may NOT be compatible with the new MyBB 1.9.xx, so it's wise for admins to check with the theme maker to see if they have plans to make their themes compatible with 1.9.xx.
To all ADMINS: Don't wait until the day that MyBB 1.9.xx is released to check if your current theme (customized or non-default) is ready or not. 
Ask the theme makers *NOW*. (I have and the theme maker assured me that my customized theme will be 1.9.xx compatible)
Don't wait until the last minute.

Where can we go to make sure our theme will be 1.9 compliant? Are there tutorials?
(2018-09-15, 03:34 PM)Metallix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-14, 11:34 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Themes? Well... that's a different story. 
Many themes may NOT be compatible with the new MyBB 1.9.xx, so it's wise for admins to check with the theme maker to see if they have plans to make their themes compatible with 1.9.xx.
To all ADMINS: Don't wait until the day that MyBB 1.9.xx is released to check if your current theme (customized or non-default) is ready or not. 
Ask the theme makers *NOW*. (I have and the theme maker assured me that my customized theme will be 1.9.xx compatible)
Don't wait until the last minute.

Where can we go to make sure our theme will be 1.9 compliant? Are there tutorials?

Good question!

This can only be answered by the MyBB developer team. Devs? Comments?
All themes will need to be re written as we are completely changing the whole theme process including structure of files etc.
(2018-09-15, 03:11 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]We really need a better editor.

So does this mean 1.9 will be released whilst 1.8 is active?

What I am trying to ask is what is the last release of 1.8 before we upgrade to 1.9?

Will we be able to upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9?

I am 90% on my way to merge to XenForo, but a part of me wants to stick to mybb.

(2018-09-15, 12:06 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

some of your questions are answered in previous threads and/or blog posts on this site.

- a new editor is planned for 1.9

- we don't know what the last release of 1.8 will be when 1.9 is released. it'll be supported for at least 1 year after 1.9 is released.

- yes, you can upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 when it's released as stable, but do note that you'll likely have to use the default theme and/or a new theme that is designed to work with 1.9. also note, unless the plugins you use are updated to work with 1.9, they'll likely need to be deactivate and/or uninstalled.