MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some important note :

Online Staff module is officialy released along with Advanced Sidebox v1.3.6,
and its NOT the same module which is present in Advanced Sidebox 1.3.4
even tho the names are same.
It is completly new and different module which 'replaces' old one and its functionality,

Because of this,
if you use Advanced Sidebox 1.3.4, replacing module files only is not enought to update it.

To properly replace it in 1.3.4 you must

1. uninstall old Online Staff module which was shipped with Advanced Sidebox 1.3.4.
Configuration -> Advanced Sidebox -> Manage modules -> Online Staff -> Options -> Uninstall.

2. copy files of new Online Staff module

3. Install new module :
Configuration -> Advanced Sidebox -> Manage modules -> Online Staff -> Options -> Install.

If you just copy files and not use Uninstall - Install procedure, it will NOT work and may additionally glitch
because of old module templates use the same names but are completly incompatible and must be removed / replaced on installation.
(2013-01-26, 05:57 AM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]First - as i said, modules must be separated and have his own options. (look above)

...When its done, and modules dont add options to core options list (like they do now)
but instead have his own options pages, then you could continue reading.

What I mean by separation is something more than just allowing each module its own setting group . . . I am thinking more in terms of allowing each module to define templates and settings as part of its info and then having the core control install, uninstall and is_installed rotuines for the module. In this way to develop an add-on module you would only need to focus on content and not semantics.

(2013-01-26, 05:57 AM)avril Wrote: [ -> ](core point of view)
- core simply calls module to get his contents,
- module return 'false' instead of 'box contents' which meant 'nah, ignore me and dont display now'
- core ignores it and display only modules which returned contents.

Yes modules need to be returning values when called both in the _build_template() function and in _install()/_uninstall() routines. That is certainly something I will be adding.

(2013-01-26, 05:57 AM)avril Wrote: [ -> ](module point of view)
It have option in his option page (which is not even concern of core what it do)
and its simple textbox with comma separated tid's or fid's where it want to be displayed.
- module check if current tid, fid, is in his list and return contents or false.

...This not only not expose any interface on core side, but also not require any processing
from core itself.

This is where I begin to get fuzzy but I have some ideas and just need to get in their and start coding until it makes sense to me. I am off today and tomorrow so I am really hoping to make progress while I have the time off work. Smile

(2013-01-26, 05:57 AM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I have never used XThreads but perhaps I am missing out ... will give it a look this weekend.

Dont do this Sleepy XThreads is powerful and addicting thing and kind of a 'development tool'.
You may fall in love and forget about your projects.

Big Grin

Nah I wouldn't do that, but I do need to see what it does to test it Wink

(2013-01-26, 08:39 AM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you guys also add usergroup permissions for block view, and not just Forum or Thread permissions. Wink

Yes that is a planned feature addition. Hopefully soon, but I can't say for sure.
Wild, I just installed your sidebox and got a strange problem:

all the threads titles (show at te top of posts) replied to the SAME thread title of my first thread.

The contenct of the threats kept the same.. but their title changed.. very strange.
That's odd.

Can you tell me a little more about your history with ASB? Is this a fresh install or an upgrade? Is it on localhost or a live forum? Do you have other plugins that present latest threads lists?

Give me a little info and I'll attempt to isolate the problems you are having. Apologies for the inconvenience.
(2013-01-28, 12:30 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]That's odd.

Can you tell me a little more about your history with ASB? Is this a fresh install or an upgrade? Is it on localhost or a live forum? Do you have other plugins that present latest threads lists?

Give me a little info and I'll attempt to isolate the problems you are having. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Its live. I deactivated it. Will download and install again. If the problem persists, Ill come back with references to make it clearer. Thanks for the help Smile
Okay let me know.

EDIT: I was able to reproduce that error in testing and have isolated the cause.

$thread was declared as global erroneously and caused the issues you reported.

ASB 1.3.7 is available here to download and should clear up the issue.

Sorry about the issues.
what is new in 1.3.7 i still use 1.3.4
(2013-01-28, 07:32 AM)bizzarela Wrote: [ -> ]what is new in 1.3.7 i still use 1.3.4

Um, basicaly put, 1.3.4 is early development stage.
While over time new ideas come out, new functions, options and features are implemented
and old ones are improved.

So 1.3.7 meant - better, faster, cuter [Image: bunny.gif], more intuitive, less bugs ect.
Its always good to check from time to time if you use most recent version and update.
yap but in mod page its still 1.3.4 version??
(2013-01-28, 07:47 AM)bizzarela Wrote: [ -> ]yap but in mod page its still 1.3.4 version??
Yes because Wildcard is very busy lately to update all links.