MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
word of advice:

if you have a big board (mine has almost 383k posts), DO NOT use a random post block as it killed my server.

wildcard, I can send you the slow query, if need be.
Hi Wildcard, I have just pushed a update to my OUGC Portal Plugin at GH and would like to know your opinion. Basically, I want the main plugin file to control all the data, the box module will just request it if I make myself clear.

One issue I found though, is the need to check if my plugin file has been loaded (since it is activated, it _should have_ been loaded).
(2014-05-01, 04:51 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Wildcard, I have just pushed a update to my OUGC Portal Plugin at GH and would like to know your opinion.

I've checked it out on GitHub. Nice job.

It is smart to create a module in this manner (letting the module simply access existing plugin functionality) so I am glad to see that you've done it that way.

I do have some comments but I think it would be better if I test the mod on localhost. When I am done, I will either PM you with any notes (if that is okay) or if it seems easier, I'll just send a pull request with line notes.

Thanks for making ASB better Smile
Do it over GH of you please, I don't mind public talk when it comes to public code (:
Will do.
One issue I see with this, is that I can't predict the ASB module is going to be used to cache all the plugin templates. I suppose I would need to add a setting for that or some trick to guess if the module is being used.
That is the only thing about using your existing plugins functionality rather than ASB's built in templates is that you have to deal with templates more directly. In all honesty, you should probably create templates specifically for your ASB module since it is intended to display at smaller widths. This would also require that the content be built within the module or that you modify your plugins to accept another parameter to specify the module's templates should be used.
Currently if the _example_ module creates templates, those are the same for all added boxes based off that module. Would be nice to add a -template prefix_ setting for boxes, if it is filled then all prefixed templates that exists for that module instance are used over the default ones.

This could be helpful if for example, I want to have two instances of the _Latest Threads_ module each differently formatted.

I'm thinking a little _xthreads_ here but I think this could be reqlly helpful and add much more value to this plugin.
(2014-05-02, 11:36 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Currently if the _example_ module creates templates, those are the same for all added boxes based off that module. Would be nice to add a -template prefix_ setting for boxes, if it is filled then all prefixed templates that exists for that module instance are used over the default ones.

This could be helpful if for example, I want to have two instances of the _Latest Threads_ module each differently formatted.

I can see how that might be useful to some people. I personally only need one setup though.

I really don't quite understand the how of what you were suggesting though. What sort of prefix do you mean?

(2014-05-02, 11:36 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking a little _xthreads_ here but I think this could be reqlly helpful and add much more value to this plugin.

I installed xThreads once and it just made me feel stupid. :s I couldn't do anything cool at all . . .
Advanced Sidebox 2.1 Released

Changes:
  • Added an option to default thread/post modules to only display newly created threads (requested by Pann here)
  • Ability to serve minified JavaScript (on by default)
  • Added an option to default thread/post modules to only display important/stickied threads (requested by DrXotick here)
  • Added an option to make side box titles a link (requested by DrXotick here)
  • Added ability to control which themes individual side boxes are displayed for (I can't remember who requested it)
  • Added two new default modules:
    • Top Poster showcases the top poster of your forum within a give range of time
    • Slideshow displays images from a folder on your server in a highly-configurable slideshow
  • Added powerful tools for the module author to use when creating extensions. Reworked settings and added the possibility of serialized settings and peekers. (Thanks to Destroy666 for suggestions)

Issues Fixed:
  • Fixed a bug where an improperly accessed variable caused PHP warnings (reported by several users; thank you all)
  • Fixed several incorrectly titled ACP pages
  • Fixed a stray character output in the ACP scripts page (reported by JimR, thanks)

For a list of all changes look here: https://github.com/WildcardSearch/Advanc...ate=closed

Thanks to Tanweth, Destroy666, JimR, Omar G., dthiago, itsmegogo and Leefish for testing, reporting and advising me for this update. I appreciate all of your help! Smile

To upgrade: Deactivate in ACP, overwrite existing files and then activate again.