MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From what i see, Wildcard is working on this plugin very hard, and i began to believe that he only sleep and coding,
then continue coding even while asleep Toungue
And such thing ofcourse bringing great improvements,
sometime along with unavoidable major changes within plugin engine,
which then may require complete plugin reinstall. But at the end - Its really worth.

Btw, when i went to eat breakfast, i thought about exacly the same thing that Leefish said before
- 'is it that hard to copy paste content of custom sidebox to notepad, reinstall plugin, then copy it back ?'
(2013-01-12, 02:40 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]'is it that hard to copy paste content of custom sidebox to notepad, reinstall plugin, then copy it back ?'

If its for every update in the next time, yes. And if there will be a Version that you can actually save the stuff before making an update, then I will wait until this Version.
@Wolfseye:

You confuse me. First you say this:

(2013-01-12, 01:35 PM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]Why save it ???
[...]
No plugin has literally a SAVE function. Seems to work fine without it.

Then you post this:

(2013-01-12, 02:54 PM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]And if there will be a Version that you can actually save the stuff before making an update, then I will wait until this Version.

So do you want to be able to save custom boxes or not? :s

In any event the idea of a 'save' feature is in no way unique. Think of Page Manager and how much more useful it becomes because users can backup and share their work . . .

(2013-01-12, 01:35 PM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]. . . updating any other plugin doesn't require a complete deinstall. So if all the other plugins can be updated without that, I am sure this one could do that too.

Full installs have been required on many different plugins before. That being said I have not intentionally synthesized a need for full uninstall/re-install because I am trying to make you work harder. I am simply trying to conceive the best methods to achieve the features people are asking for.

(2013-01-12, 01:42 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I can work out from what Wildcard is saying, he has updated the plugin so that in the future, after using this version, a full uninstall is NOT required to upgrade.

Correct. I really wanted to include an upgrade module like we discussed in the other thread, but time hasn't permitted so far.

(2013-01-12, 01:48 PM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]from what I understand is that the current Version doesn't have that yet.
[...]
Thats why I wondered. And before there isn't a Version I am sure will do the same, I will stay with 1.2. I can wait. Wink

I am not a professional developer so you can never be certain that no future version will ever require a full reinstall. I certainly don't think it will be necessary to do that (at least for now), but for me to say that I know for sure that the structure will support an indefinite number of additional features in an efficient manner would either be arrogant or stupid however you want to call that one.

(2013-01-12, 02:40 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]then continue coding even while asleep Toungue

:p

You are a hard worker too. You find the bug and tell me how to fix it Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(2013-01-13, 02:04 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]@Wolfseye:

You confuse me. First you say this:

(2013-01-12, 01:35 PM)Wolfseye Wrote: [ -> ]Why save it ???
[...]
No plugin has literally a SAVE function. Seems to work fine without it.

I said that because i dont know any Plugin that has a literal SAVE option. All those I tried so far just didn't need to uninstall completely in order to save the data after an update. And as I said, if it were only for settings, a reinstall would be no problem. But I don't want to redo the blocks every time, thats what I ment.

And I know you do the best you can Wink so please dont take my comments bad. I just don't want to have more work than necessary.... even though I appreciate you making yourself all the work on this Plugin so others can enjoy it. Probably unfair thinking but its not ment that way, I hope you see that. Wink

Wolf
ASB 1.3.2 released

Changes:
  • avril fixed some issues and updated the features of the Private Messages box to adapt to many different factors: registered or guest, pms deactivated by user/admin, etc.
  • Again thanks to avril for catching some invalid HTML output by the plugin
  • Thanks to Howman for the tip on latest sideboxes causing an error for a install on a new forum (without posts/threads)
  • In ACP changed icon links in all Control columns to the standard Popup list selectors.
  • Added Import/Export features to user-defined box types. User may export and import standard XML documents to backup, restore or share their work

If upgrading from 1.3.1 just deactivate the plugin and overwrite the existing files. Then Activate again in ACP and enjoy.
Took the time and updated. Wink Very nice work, Wildcard. Thanks for the import/export thing. Hopefully different Blocks can be shared in for example a thread like this here, so that others that want to offer their custom made blocks, can do that.

Btw, a question. Would it be possible to specifiy each blocks permissions (View) per Usergroup ? Not a general setting but for each Block, standard or custom block or at least only custom blocks. If that is too much to ask (I guess it is!) just ignore it. The plugin is great as it is. Just would be the cherry on top Wink if you could do that.

Cheers

Wolfseye
Hi Wolf Smile

I'm glad you updated and were happy with the progress. There are some minor bugs cropping up right now (mostly with the various modules) and as we work our way through those I will look at extending things.

Due to our previous conversation I plan to include some sort of upgrade script that will enable the plugin to be upgraded without uninstalling and I am holding 1.4 as the target for that change. When and if that happens I will have to retract my earlier statement and say that short of MyBB 1.8 I can't see having to uninstall to upgrade.

There are some ifs in that Big Grin

But as for your idea, yes that has occurred to me and I plan to allow sideboxes to have individual permissions at some point for certain. Feel free to create an issue on GitHub for that feature and I will label it as a requested enhancement. Trust me it will get done quicker if I have to look at it every day when I log in :p

Thanks for all your help.
Cheers
Just installed it on my test board. Seems well-coded and well-organized in the ACP. I'd suggest using default CSS classes for buttons and all those kind of things because ACP themes aren't supported (my ProjectX doesn't support your custom classes Toungue), anyway it's an excellent piece of work.
Thanks Shade Smile

I probably just need to use a custom style sheet for the entire plugin but still haven't had time to handle that.

Working on 1.4 now thanks to a lot of good help! Very excited about this project and happy that so much interest is being shown in it.
this plugin must be premium, and you deserve to earn money from it