MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-02-28, 09:28 AM)DUBLIN5 Wrote: [ -> ]don't work for me

What exactly doesn't work for you? You need to provide more info if you want anyone to be able to help you.
the old one works better
(2013-02-28, 02:00 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that I can't just predict the hook names and how the template will be coded. And trying to think of how to work with Page Manager pages just makes my head hurt.

Also there is the problem that we already have eight scripts and (as Destroy666 pointed out) the display is so wide that in lo-res it gets weird looking (something else I have to look into).

So what happens when admin wants to add every script and there are more buttons on the ACP page than in a JC Penny catalog?

I think it awesome that you are thinking big though. I keep saying it but I am no developer. Google and MyBB forums has got me this far but there are some concepts that are still unclear and perhaps time with help and I can solve these riddles.
I understand. It makes sense. Maybe you don't need to make each hook its own tab in the ACP page. I mean, you already have the main hooks. If they only wanted a sidebar on one area, they can select it. My biggest problem is when you go to a page that does not have the sidebar, the layout just looks so incomplete. So my suggest would be instead of having "all hooks" or whatever it says, just say "global". You don't need to make tabs for every page- that would be insane.

I know making things global makes things so much harder though. I tried with Nayar's and it was impossible for me.

(2013-02-28, 02:00 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Destroy666 has suggested long ago that the plugin make edits to the actual forum templates rather than on-the-fly. In that scenario, you could make adjustments to where the side boxes begin and which content they are above below or beside by editing the template after install.

I have been reluctant to make that move, but only because I am unsure of what most admins would prefer.

What do you think?

I think I understand what you are saying. I would prefer it, because it allows you to customize more. I love learning how things work and customizing it to fit my needs. The more a plugin can be changed, the more I like it. It's one of the reason why I love PHP conditionals. However, I do understand that many people are not CS majors and don't care about learning how to code and keeping it the way it is would be easier for them.

I would strongly prefer this though.

(2013-02-28, 02:00 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]No, that doesn't sound terribly hard.

Real life has got me a little tied up for the moment, but I will try to look into it. If you make an Issue on GitHub it will help remind me.

Woohoo, I'll do it as soon as I have the time. i should be doing homework.

Thanks Big Grin
(2013-03-01, 02:04 AM)Lindsiria Wrote: [ -> ]However, I do understand that many people are not CS majors and don't care about learning how to code and keeping it the way it is would be easier for them.

I don't agree on this point. Inserting code into templates instead of cache shouldn't influence the difficulty level of using this plugin. All it would change is adding code to few templates, if I'm not mistaken. Which doesn't force anyone to edit it.

But yeah, nice to see someone else looking for this feature.
Well Destroy666 it looks like you are going to get your wish. I will focus on the current issues for 1.6 this weekend and the next stage will be to create 1.7 as a feature branch and start to rewrite.

Just give me some time.
I apologize if this has been addressed before (I couldn't find it if it has). The plugin is mostly working fine and looks wonderful. However, I am having a bizzare issue where, on the plugin settings page, the "Theme EXCLUDE List" setting actually controls the width of right sideboxes (whatever is in the Theme Exclude List is mirrored in that field), while editing the width of sideboxes (right) field makes no difference, it always reverts to whatever is in the Theme Exclude list. And if I set my desired width in the Theme Exclude List box, it does in-fact change the width of sideboxes on the right.

Also, if I click on the "Update Theme Exclude Selector" link, it simply refreshes and says that the setting was updated successfully.

I tried disabling all other plugins, to no success.

EDIT: Another query I have is I would like to have a different table head (thead) background image for the sideboxes. I already have a CSS style set up for it in my theme, but I am unsure where to go to modify the table head class on the sideboxes, as there doesn't appear to be a template for it with the others.
(2013-03-03, 09:54 PM)Tanweth Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Another query I have is I would like to have a different table head (thead) background image for the sideboxes. I already have a CSS style set up for it in my theme, but I am unsure where to go to modify the table head class on the sideboxes, as there doesn't appear to be a template for it with the others.

It's hardcoded in adv_sidebox_classes as $content atm. Hopefully parts of the HTML/CSS including this will be moved to templates in future releases as Wildcard mentioned above.
(2013-03-03, 09:54 PM)Tanweth Wrote: [ -> ]I am having a bizzare issue where, on the plugin settings page, the "Theme EXCLUDE List" setting actually controls the width of right sideboxes (whatever is in the Theme Exclude List is mirrored in that field), while editing the width of sideboxes (right) field makes no difference, it always reverts to whatever is in the Theme Exclude list. And if I set my desired width in the Theme Exclude List box, it does in-fact change the width of sideboxes on the right.

Wait-- I am not really understanding what you mean. How can you set the width of something using a multiple select list box?

Can you give me a screen shot of the settings page?
[Image: sidebox_settings.jpg]

The text field where you can manually enter theme ids is what I'm talking about.