MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many thanks.

Where is the tab?

And where is the wiki?

Best,

Phil
In ACP, where you add side boxes, look for the Script tab.

And the wiki is linked in the OP.
Hi there Wildcard (and others)!

I use your plugin and I am happy with it, so let me first thank you for this plugin and for helping make MyBB a great forum choice and on par with the paid options.

I am having a small problem related to your plugin, and this problem can become a big problem. It was reported by a forum member to us that the sideboxes disappear when a user chooses "Instant email notification" in the user CP (under "Edit Options"). The option to choose "Instant email notification" is a default option of MyBB, and we haven't tweaked this part of the forum.

Essentially, the problem is that upon choosing "Instant email notification", all sideboxes disappear from the forum (we have sideboxes on each side of the forum) and the forum widens out to what it would be without the sidebars (currently the forum is at 97% width). And when you try to undo the "Instant email notification" so as to choose the default option (no notification), the bug continues despite undoing the option and the sideboxes are not present in the forum no matter what you do. I only have a small amount of plugins installed and a fairly basic theme installed.

I currently have a set of sideboxes per side with very basic stuff including the options which your plugin offers plus a simple HTML code in one sidebox calling a banner we have in the forum. Under normal circumstances, they work fine and will load up in all forum areas we have enabled.

I would appreciate if you would comment on this please. I would provide my forum's URL, but I did so yesterday in another thread and I found a lot of spammers visiting through the URL. I can give you the URL in private and screenshots too; even have you create an account and do the process described above to find the bug. My forum has the required links to MyBB as required when requesting for help. If a Mod needs further proof, please let me know and I will be happy provide it.

Thanks for taking the time to review this bug I/we have encountered and thanks for this plugin too!

Cheers

WildCard, I just saw your reply on my other thread, so thanks for that.

As said, if you would like me to create a forum member account so that you can reproduce the bug, then please let me know. It will only take you 1-2 minutes of your time as it will be as simple as loging in, going to the User CP and choosing "Instant email notifications", then go back to the forum and see how the sideboxes have disappeared and the forum has widened to its fullest.

Cheers
Sawadee Blush

I have a problem
why is it so?

How to fix it?

[Image: di-VQRB.jpg]
Ados Just for info i have tried it out on our test forum and all works as it should do, the boxes stays were they are and do not disappear like they do with you when setting it in the User CP for "Instant email notifications".Dodgy

Have you tried it using another theme to see if it still happens, maybe try the MyBB default theme?
Hi guys,

I regret to say it, but I just can't do anything to help right now. Sad I have received the bug reports but my situation isn't allowing me any time to look into any of my free plugins at this time. As soon as I can I will get back and do a round of updates.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

One thing you could try is disabling any other plugins that are new or have recently been updated to see if there is a conflict with one of them.

Again, when I have time I will take a look.
(2013-12-19, 07:32 AM)mike537 Wrote: [ -> ]Ados Just for info i have tried it out on our test forum and all works as it should do, the boxes stays were they are and do not disappear like they do with you when setting it in the User CP for "Instant email notifications".Dodgy

Have you tried it using another theme to see if it still happens, maybe try the MyBB default theme?

Thanks for the feedback. I have very-basic plugins installed, only have 9 of which all of them are the most popular ones. I am also using the default theme.

The one thing is that I noticed we were still running the 1.6 version and not 2.0 version of this plugin. This could perhaps be the reason for that, so I will update and let you all know.

(2013-12-19, 07:53 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I regret to say it, but I just can't do anything to help right now. Sad I have received the bug reports but my situation isn't allowing me any time to look into any of my free plugins at this time. As soon as I can I will get back and do a round of updates.

One thing you could try is disabling any other plugins that are new or have recently been updated to see if there is a conflict with one of them.

Thanks WildCard! In my case that's fine; I think I will just disable instant email notification form the User CP and allow it on a "per thread" basis. I tested out if opting in for email notifications when replying to a thread (checking the box) would cause the same bug and it didn't, so that's good news.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did manually delete the option from User CP where a member can choose to disable the sideboxes. Perhaps that could have affected it even though we made sure just to remove the part of the code that did that specifically? I believe the code was found on the User CP template, which brings the question, now when we update to the 2.0 version of this plugin, will the options in this plugin reset?

I hope everything in your personal situation is/gets better Smile And don't worry for inconveniences, you have done enough creating this very-convenient plugin! In our case, as said, we will for now just disable the notification option from the User CP.

P.S: While I'm aware that there is a way to make sideboxes via coding them, perhaps it could be a good idea to include the addition of optional sidebars in the core MyBB so that we don't have to rely on plugins. The less plugins we use the better and it would make MyBB even more flexible.
Great plug-in,
However for me it appears on every page except for forums page, any idea how i can make it appear there aswell?
(2013-12-20, 08:38 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-19, 07:32 AM)mike537 Wrote: [ -> ]Ados Just for info i have tried it out on our test forum and all works as it should do, the boxes stays were they are and do not disappear like they do with you when setting it in the User CP for "Instant email notifications".Dodgy

Thanks for the feedback. I have very-basic plugins installed, only have 9 of which all of them are the most popular ones. I am also using the default theme.

The one thing is that I noticed we were still running the 1.6 version and not 2.0 version of this plugin. This could perhaps be the reason for that, so I will update and let you all know.

Thanks WildCard! In my case that's fine; I think I will just disable instant email notification form the User CP and allow it on a "per thread" basis. I tested out if opting in for email notifications when replying to a thread (checking the box) would cause the same bug and it didn't, so that's good news.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did manually delete the option from User CP where a member can choose to disable the sideboxes. Perhaps that could have affected it even though we made sure just to remove the part of the code that did that specifically? I believe the code was found on the User CP template, which brings the question, now when we update to the 2.0 version of this plugin, will the options in this plugin reset?

I hope everything in your personal situation is/gets better Smile And don't worry for inconveniences, you have done enough creating this very-convenient plugin! In our case, as said, we will for now just disable the notification option from the User CP.

P.S: While I'm aware that there is a way to make sideboxes via coding them, perhaps it could be a good idea to include the addition of optional sidebars in the core MyBB so that we don't have to rely on plugins. The less plugins we use the better and it would make MyBB even more flexible.

Something occurred to me while reading your reply that might be the beginning of a solution.

ASB modifies the Control Panel -> Edit Options page on the fly to add an option for users to disable sideboxes. If you have modified the template then ASB's setting will not get added to the template and when the user saves their options the ASB preference will be set to off for that user (at least that is what I am thinking is happening).

Can you make a backup of that template and try restoring it to the master? See if that helps.

(2013-12-21, 08:16 AM)jayy Wrote: [ -> ]Great plug-in,
However for me it appears on every page except for forums page, any idea how i can make it appear there aswell?

When you are setting up a script definition (or in this case editing one) so that it will work with multiple themes, there is a lot going on that needs to be addressed. Maybe you haven't given a valid set of search phrases or the hook you are using is incorrect. However, if you are using the default set up for forumdisplay, you should be able to use the default MyBB theme and it will work.

If that is the case then you simply have to see which differences between your theme and the MyBB default theme are causing the issue.
(2013-12-21, 09:26 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-20, 08:38 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]

Something occurred to me while reading your reply that might be the beginning of a solution.

ASB modifies the Control Panel -> Edit Options page on the fly to add an option for users to disable sideboxes. If you have modified the template then ASB's setting will not get added to the template and when the user saves their options the ASB preference will be set to off for that user (at least that is what I am thinking is happening).

Can you make a backup of that template and try restoring it to the master? See if that helps.

Nice one!

I think that may be it. I will have to look for the backup copy as I'm pretty sure we have it. In fact it was only one line of code as I recall.

We actually have to update to ASB 2.0 as we had 1.6. Should we try to get the backup before updating or update now?

Thanks for any replies!

Yes!

That was the issue. I restored the backup and it showed the option "show sidebar" and now the members who had this issue have the sidebars again.

Here is the thread where I read about removing the option to allow members to remove the sidebar:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-147441-...pid1045733

We just muted the following line of code (line 170 in adv_sidebox.php)

$templates->cache['usercp_options'] = str_replace($find, $usercp_option, $templates->cache['usercp_options']);

All we did is put // before $templates-> so it became

// $templates->cache['usercp_options'] = str_replace($find, $usercp_option, $templates->cache['usercp_options']);

All I had to do is remove the // again.

I am going to update to the 2.0 version now. Having said this, I would appreciate if you could let us know how to remove the option for members to NOT show sidebars. I want my members to have the sidebars and not have an option to remove them.

Thanks! Wink