MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-05-07, 05:39 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't think I can live with that . . . Sad It seems overly complicated and not intuitive. Already we have a fairly complex system, but visibility is currently cut-and-dried and I'd like to keep it that way.

Some options I had thought of were along the lines of adding a check box (titled something like 'Specific Forum(s) Only?') and a forum select box in the 'Pages' tab on side box edit. The check box would enable/disable the forum select and upon selection disables the script select box. So when choosing visibility options, to create a side box that only displays on one forum, you will check a box and select a forum and save.

Of course, if I did this, I would have to do the same for showthread . . . :p

well display is not cut & dried as the plugin stands, if someone does not get 'Header Search Text' or 'Footer Search Text' right in the definition you get no side boxes... if you leave one of the above blank you get the following error

Warning [2] strpos(): Empty needle - Line: 191 - File: inc/plugins/asb/classes/template_handler.php PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4 (Linux)
File	Line	Function
[PHP]	 	errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/asb/classes/template_handler.php	191	strpos
/inc/plugins/asb/forum.php	149	ASBTemplateHandler::edit
/inc/class_plugins.php	101	asb_start
/forumdisplay.php	35	pluginSystem->run_hooks

(this was a blank footer) .... is making the acp look good failing the functionality ?
Hmm... sounds complicated. I'll take a look at it though. Maybe in the future can include checkboxes to include or not include the meta on a per box basis? That is, include title only... I think it would be handy and would cut the sideboxes vertical size down by more than 50%. If checked, then would call one template that includes them, if not checked calls the template that doesn't.

Consider some way to allow stylizing thead in boxes as well. As it is now, I've named them ex: Off topic 'Click'

I know you can't make everyone happy. Just putting some ideas out there I think would be handy and add some functionality if they're not too difficult to implement.

On a sidenote, whatever broke javascript functionality in ACP with the previous version so far seems to be fixed in this one. Excellent.
(2014-05-07, 05:52 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]well display is not cut & dried as the plugin stands, if someone does not get 'Header Search Text' or 'Footer Search Text' right in the definition you get no side boxes...

Again you are misunderstanding me. When I say 'visibility' I mean 'selecting where and when a side box will be displayed'-- what you are talking about is script management.

(2014-05-07, 05:52 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]if you leave one of the above blank you get the following error

That is an error and needs to be fixed. I'll make an issue on GitHub.

(2014-05-07, 05:52 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]is making the acp look good failing the functionality ?

What does this even mean? I think that if I cannot add this feature in a way that is both functional and intuitive then I will not add it. Failing to ensure that would be irresponsible of me.
(2014-05-07, 06:36 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 05:52 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]well display is not cut & dried as the plugin stands, if someone does not get 'Header Search Text' or 'Footer Search Text' right in the definition you get no side boxes...

Again you are misunderstanding me. When I say 'visibility' I mean 'selecting where and when a side box will be displayed'-- what you are talking about is script management.

(2014-05-07, 05:52 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]if you leave one of the above blank you get the following error

That is an error and needs to be fixed. I'll make an issue on GitHub.

(2014-05-07, 05:52 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]is making the acp look good failing the functionality ?

What does this even mean? I think that if I cannot add this feature in a way that is both functional and intuitive then I will not add it. Failing to ensure that would be irresponsible of me.

It is a fine line between an intuitive interface and the ability to add functionality some people would like the intuitive interface others functionality, I like functionality over intuitive ... I tend to laugh at 'intuitive' as it tends to be only the coders point of view. Some ones intuitive is non intuitive to someone else. To the degree I am considering re writing the acp interface to suit usage rather than intuitive.

Please forgive my posts ... some times perhaps they make no sense, but it appears that I have viral meningitis, and with this I loose the ability to construct sentences correctly sometimes.
DELETE ME.
@Wildcard - I have been testing the sidebox on a testsite with over 300k of posts. The Top Poster takes 3 seconds query time, the Random Quote at 7 seconds plus finally crashed the server.

Can I suggest that the Random Quote and Top Poster have some sort of warning on them regarding this?
Lee,

Sad I didn't know those queries would be so expensive. That makes two reports saying that the random quotes module query is slow. What I would like more than putting up a warning is figuring out a way to speed it up.
Why don't people simply add a new setting to the module to ask for forums to show it in, I don't think each module need this TBH. Perhaps only custom ones like Leefish's xThreads custom module for example.
How can the Names of Sideboxes center and in two languages present?
Sideboxes by default use the thead CSS class that MyBB uses for all table headers. To center the text, you'd have to modify your theme's global.css file (find .thead, then add "text-align: center;"). But that will center headers everywhere. If you just want sidebox headers centered, the easiest way to do it would be to go to the Templates section of your Admin CP, then Advanced Sidebox Templates, then asb_wrapped_sidebox, then find:

<td class="thead">

And replace with:

<td class="thead" style="text-align: center">

I'm not sure what you mean by "and in two languages present." Can you clarify that point?