MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Wildcard,

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you please tell me, what changes I need to make for making this box always display?
Could you check this please?
It is related to this plugin: http://community.mybb.com/thread-141745.html

Thanks & Regards,
k1R@
how to add top poster in sidebox ?
I would like to have a option on the latest thread function, to show a amount of latest threads for the one specific group as for the other one, it would be useful if there are forums which are just visible some people and to fit the length of the side with the forum content area.
I'm not sure I know what you are asking, but keep in mind that I can't think in terms of 'length' when producing side box content-- this is why we have so many settings to attempt to contain the amount of content to a range, but I can't say with much surety how far down the page a side box will take you.

That being said, you can easily make different boxes to show for different usergroups and in all cases permissions are considered before threads or posts are displayed-- and that goes for the entire project and all core modules.
I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find anything on it. I am (as always) greatly enjoying this plugin, it really adds value to my forums, particularly with the other customizations I have. There are just two minor issues I'm having:

1. The Theme Exclude list occasionally resets itself. I'm not entirely sure what makes it reset, but it always seems to be connected to when I make an edit to my templates (not the templates for Advanced Sidebox, but templates for my theme). Sometimes when I make an edit it remains fine, other times it resets, and I haven't worked out what exactly makes it do that. Any ideas?

2. I would like to replace the normal portal sideboxes with the ones from this plugin, but I have some customizations to the portal page that disappear when I enable that option. Namely, I have a couple of center boxes that appear above the announcements feed (which disappear if I enable replacing the portal boxes). Here is a link to my portal page, so that you can see what I mean: http://kerfufflealliance.com/portal.php. The sideboxes on the right also disappear, since I added those manually (they aren't added with this plugin). Which is another reason why it would be great to fix this issue, because then I could manage those sideboxes with this plugin also. Smile

I am perfectly fine with going into a file and manually editing it to include my customizations if that's what would be needed to make them show up when I enable replacing the portal boxes. I could just use a pointer as to where I should go.

Let me know if you need any more info to troubleshoot, and thanks again for the plugin. Big Grin
Hi Tanweth Smile

First of all thanks so much for the very kind words. This is kind of a community project now so I can't take all the credit, but I still blushed really good Blush

1. The Theme EXCLUDE list is serialized because it is multi-select so if I am hooking into admin_config_settings_change to serialize it upon save. AFAIK that is the only possibility for the that setting to 'reset' so I will give it another look to be sure I haven't made some mistake.

In any event I see no possibility of it being tied to template editing at all. (I have been wrong before though :p )

2. Back at the first version Wolfseye was trying to figure out a way to do that and it had only recently occurred to me of a simple way to make it happen.

If I use a template for portal then you guys can edit that template and in effect, you can use the plugin to 'put things in the middle'-- the only caveat is that it would mean only static HTML or global variables could be used-- unless, and I literally just thought of this, I lobbed a hook in so that you could hook in and do creative PHP stuff . . . idk-- I have a lot on my plate right now so it might be awhile before I am able to really give it my full attention.

While I am searching for time I'd love to hear any thoughts.
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been asked/mentioned in this thread before but does anyone have any custom boxes I could use so it will show threads only from one forum?
I could certainly have the wrong end of the stick on the theme exclude list, and since I haven't found any specific pattern that seems highly plausible. It could have nothing to do with any of my admin doings and I just happen to check on it more when I'm editing templates (which I do since I'm already in the Admin CP), so I assumed a false connection between what I was just doing and what happened to the list. It could be connected to other admin setting edits I make too, since there are some custom settings I have that relate to content which I edit somewhat frequently.

Glad to hear that you've thought of a solution to the portal conundrum. I'll await that update patiently then. Smile
Okay I went through the ACP code and I have isolated an issue that might have reset the theme EXCLUDE when you edit other settings in ACP (not in ASB group)-- my logic was unsound and I needed a conditional in the hook I was using to serialize.

I don't know when I'll have time to make an update but I'd be happy to show you the search and replace on the fix if you want to give it a go. Or if not I'll just try to get an update pushed as soon as is possible.