MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-05-07, 01:03 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]However I guess I am asking for a feauture which is to display the sideboxes on certain forums only .... this is useful with the xthreads plugin.

This has been requested since the first week after I released ASB. Sadly, I have had a hard time conceptualizing how that would work. Can you give me any ideas?

(2014-05-07, 01:03 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]Another question can you add multiple refs to the same script so you can have different results if the same script is ran with a different action ?

Yes.
Hi Wildcard,

Removing all boxes from one theme on one side does indeed remove the entire sidebar... I guess that wasn't unexpected... just cool to see... Thanks..

- I was wondering if there's some way to easily edit the CSS for the sidebox thead text with latest threads.. I want to stylize the linked theads so users will know they're clickable.... I tried with HTML and inline CSS, but that didn't work out at all. I looked through the ASB templates, but couldn't find the thead css call.

- Also, is there any way to show just the title of the thread for specific boxes. Remove last poster, views, date, replies...I want to set up sponsor FID boxes so they don't 'pollute' the main recent threads, but want to remove all of the meta so they don't take up so much space...
(2014-05-07, 03:43 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Wildcard,

Removing all boxes from one theme on one side does indeed remove the entire sidebar... I guess that wasn't unexpected... just cool to see... Thanks..

You're welcome. Smile

(2014-05-07, 03:43 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]I want to stylize the linked theads so users will know they're clickable.... I tried with HTML and inline CSS, but that didn't work out at all.

The title links are styled just like the rest of the theme by default (.thead a:link) I've just had a look at things and I'll admit I didn't see a way to change that.

I'll try to come up with something.

(2014-05-07, 03:43 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is there any way to show just the title of the thread... Not last poster, views, date, replies...I want to set up sponsor FID boxes so they don't 'pollute' the main recent threads, but want to remove all of the meta so they don't take up so much space...

Again, all of the modules use templates. Edit the templates for the recent posts module to display only the information you want.
(2014-05-07, 03:04 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 01:03 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]However I guess I am asking for a feauture which is to display the sideboxes on certain forums only .... this is useful with the xthreads plugin.
This has been requested since the first week after I released ASB. Sadly, I have had a hard time conceptualizing how that would work. Can you give me any ideas?
A simple method would be to trap the fid variable the same way as the action variable then find the correct script definition, this method would mean a few forum display defs ...

(2014-05-07, 03:04 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 01:03 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]Another question can you add multiple refs to the same script so you can have different results if the same script is ran with a different action ?

Yes.

I have this working fine and it sort of fixes point 1 ... I just have added the action variable to the url so 'forumdisplay.php?fid=4&action=test' displays one set of side boxes and 'forumdisplay.php?fid=4' displays another ... all works ok ... however this is a lot of work to do Huh
@JimR: Let me rephrase:

The problem I am having is coming up with an intuitive way to add this option. How would the interface work? We currently have tabs for three visibility factors, how would the current page selection and forum specification work together? Would the end-user realize that putting a box on Index and adding an FID will never show?
Maybe the way is to add an option to select the forum ids inside the manage scripts of forumdisplay?
(2014-05-07, 04:40 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]@JimR: Let me rephrase:

The problem I am having is coming up with an intuitive way to add this option. How would the interface work? We currently have tabs for three visibility factors, how would the current page selection and forum specification work together? Would the end-user realize that putting a box on Index and adding an FID will never show?

Ok I understand now ....

why no do a tab to handle forumdisplay.php on it's own ?

Allow the users to select the forum areas and script definition (this assumes you have multiple script definitions for forumdisplay.php to include width, left or right, Header Search Text and Footer Search Text)
within this tab allow a new definition to be created (if required).

On addition or edit of a sidebox add a tab to edit the forumdisplay.php options.

this method may require loads of script definitions for forumdisplay.php however on one of my testing sites (using xthreads) I have got away with 5 definitions to do the whole site
(2014-05-07, 04:20 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 03:43 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Wildcard,

You're welcome. Smile

(2014-05-07, 03:43 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]I want to stylize the linked theads so users will know they're clickable.... I tried with HTML and inline CSS, but that didn't work out at all.

The title links are styled just like the rest of the theme by default (.thead a:link) I've just had a look at things and I'll admit I didn't see a way to change that.

I'll try to come up with something.
For last poster and thread title etc.., it's quite easy to encase in a css span. Is it possible to make the thead called from within the template so it can have a class applied to it as well? I don't know enough about it... Just throwing an idea out there.

(2014-05-07, 03:43 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is there any way to show just the title of the thread... Not last poster, views, date, replies...I want to set up sponsor FID boxes so they don't 'pollute' the main recent threads, but want to remove all of the meta so they don't take up so much space...
Quote:Again, all of the modules use templates. Edit the templates for the recent posts module to display only the information you want.

I only want specific boxes to show like this... Can I duplicate everything about default recent posts, duplicate the template, mod it, give it a new name and create a custom sidebox that otherwise has all the other properties of recent posts with that template? I know that's a messy sentence. I hope you understand what I mean. I just want to know if it's possible before I delve into it.
(2014-05-07, 05:25 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the way is to add an option to select the forum ids inside the manage scripts of forumdisplay?
(2014-05-07, 05:26 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]this method may require loads of script definitions for forumdisplay.php however on one of my testing sites (using xthreads) I have got away with 5 definitions to do the whole site

I just don't think I can live with that . . . Sad It seems overly complicated and not intuitive. Already we have a fairly complex system, but visibility is currently cut-and-dried and I'd like to keep it that way.

Some options I had thought of were along the lines of adding a check box (titled something like 'Specific Forum(s) Only?') and a forum select box in the 'Pages' tab on side box edit. The check box would enable/disable the forum select and upon selection disables the script select box. So when choosing visibility options, to create a side box that only displays on one forum, you will check a box and select a forum and save.

Of course, if I did this, I would have to do the same for showthread . . . :p
(2014-05-07, 05:38 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]For last poster and thread title etc.., it's quite easy to encase in a css span. Is it possible to make the thead called from within the template so it can have a class applied to it as well? I don't know enough about it... Just throwing an idea out there.

(2014-05-07, 05:38 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Can I duplicate everything about default recent posts, duplicate the template, mod it, give it a new name and create a custom sidebox that otherwise has all the other properties of recent posts with that template?

Not exactly :p

If you understand how modules work and a little PHP you can make a duplicate recent posts module by copying the recent_posts.php to a new file and editing the function names (and title so you can tell them apart).