MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Sidebox 2.1.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm glad we've at least identified the issue.

As to removing the option for users to individually disable side boxes entirely, you're right, it could be a setting that admin could easily manage.

There are a couple other settings I am looking into adding right now, most due to suggestions. A expander toggle setting and the above mentioned setting as well as possibly handling AJAX a little differently.

If you think of any other things I have hard-coded that need to be a setting, please feel free to reply here.
Thanks WildCard!

I have now installed 2.0 but the modules are too narrow compared to the ones I had. I believe there was an option to set the width of the modules in 1.6, how can I set the width on 2.0?

Also, I want to remove one module from the left column but there is no option to remove it. In 1.6 there was an X sign to remove it immediately but I cannot find any removal options. All I find is to delete the module completely; when all I want is just to remove it from the sidebar.

I would appreciate your replies with these 2 issues.

Thanks again!

P.S: Yes, the option to allow an admin to remove the option we have covered would be great as many of us use the sidebars for advertising and, if users turn the sidebars OFF, that's less money we make Smile

Wow, I tried adding a an advertising banner and it is all over the place too together with G+ and Facebook. it looks so bad my members are complaining as the Google+ banner eats into the forum.

I believe the sideboxes must be set to 150 px width but I need them at 183px.

Also, the sideboxes aren't loading up when browsing a section (thread list). The sideboxes only load up on the main index page and on an actual thread.

if it helps, I have yet to upgrade to 1.6.11 MyBB, I'm on 1.6.10 at the moment.
(2013-12-23, 06:10 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks WildCard!

You are certainly welcome. Smile

(2013-12-23, 06:10 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]I have now installed 2.0 but the modules are too narrow compared to the ones I had. I believe there was an option to set the width of the modules in 1.6, how can I set the width on 2.0?

Now instead of one global width you can control each width on a per page basis. Go to ACP -> Config -> Advanced Sidebox and click the 'Scripts' tab, edit the scripts to redefine their width.

(2013-12-23, 06:10 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I want to remove one module from the left column but there is no option to remove it. In 1.6 there was an X sign to remove it immediately but I cannot find any removal options. All I find is to delete the module completely; when all I want is just to remove it from the sidebar.

You can just drag the side boxes into the trash column to delete them.

(2013-12-23, 06:10 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]P.S: Yes, the option to allow an admin to remove the option we have covered would be great as many of us use the sidebars for advertising and, if users turn the sidebars OFF, that's less money we make Smile

I hadn't thought of it, but it is definitely a valid point. I will get it done in the next few days and provide an update.

Thanks for your suggestions. Smile
Excellent! That was it; I had been trying to search where to find the width and even searched on the forum. The modification you made is even better as we can now control the sideboxes' width per script.

One quick question, I still happen to not get the sideboxes load up when browsing a forum (when you get the thread titles, not inside the thread itself, inside the thread it loads up fine). Would you happen to know why? I believe this script is forumdisplay and it has the settings like the rest of scripts but it isn't loading up for some reason.

Thank you again!
Editing the script definition to work will primarily mean editing the 'Header Search Phrase' and the 'Footer Search Phrase'-- look at the template that is being edited (by going to ACP->ASB->Script Tab->Forum Display) and then go to that template and look to see if the search phrases are in the actual template. If not, copy and paste what is there into the fields.

This may seem inconvenient, but the old way you would have had to go and edit PHP scripts to make this work for your forum and every time you upgraded, you would have to maintain the patch(es).

I just think this is the better idea.

Another idea has just occurred to me: If we could get a list of adjusted script definition for various MyBB Themes going, then adjust your script definition would be as simple as looking through a list and downloading that XML back up file . . .
(2013-12-23, 09:07 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Editing the script definition to work will primarily mean editing the 'Header Search Phrase' and the 'Footer Search Phrase'-- look at the template that is being edited (by going to ACP->ASB->Script Tab->Forum Display) and then go to that template and look to see if the search phrases are in the actual template. If not, copy and paste what is there into the fields.

This may seem inconvenient, but the old way you would have had to go and edit PHP scripts to make this work for your forum and every time you upgraded, you would have to maintain the patch(es).

I just think this is the better idea.

Another idea has just occurred to me: If we could get a list of adjusted script definition for various MyBB Themes going, then adjust your script definition would be as simple as looking through a list and downloading that XML back up file . . .

Excellent, I am going to take a look and report back.

Yes, I agree with your idea. I can report mine if you want although I am using the default theme (but tweaked). if you would like me to report anything from my side to help, feel free to let me know; always happy to help improve the community Smile (I will also be donating for beers and Red Bulls to help out Big Grin, I'll donate at the beginning of the year after all crazy expenses I am partaking in!)

Can I ask, WildCard, does the 2.0 ASB run slower than the 1.6 version? I have noticed that my sideboxes take a bit longer to load with the 2.0 version than the 1.6 version. I have my forum in a fast VPS and it can handle the traffic just fine.

With the 1.6 version it would load up in a split second while it is taking close to 2 seconds now to load up. Is it to be expected with 2.0 perhaps due to more code or more database calls? Would you recommend caching the sidebars? I can get memcache to cache all my static content or do it from .htaccess. I am asking a I am sure this would benefit others or even maybe give you ideas when it comes to enhancing the performance of the ASB (in case you could get them caching etc).

Thanks!
If anything, 2.0 should load faster. Now all the data is being cached so no real building is required forum side beside that of the add-on module content.

idk m8
(2013-12-24, 07:23 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]If anything, 2.0 should load faster. Now all the data is being cached so no real building is required forum side beside that of the add-on module content.

idk m8

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Apologies if I am sounding like I am splitting hairs! Just playing around with the settings and help in any way I can.

Indeed, ASB is loading good. It looks as through it is the Facebook and Google+ buttons. They have to reload on every page and that itself adds another second of loading time! And then Google tells us to have a fast website, when they are giving us that slow-loading G+ button to add to our pages.

Thanks again for the reply. May I ask, can I use memcache to further cache the sideboxes or they are already doing fine? My forum is in a VPS. I am considering memcache because the sidebars I use (not sidebosex, just code embedded in the template) are having to reload every time a page is open. My only concern is that memcache caches everything which can affect my forum members and perhaps ASB too.
Nice plugin mate. It looks really good.
(2013-12-24, 04:24 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks again for the reply.

You're welcome. It is only lately that I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. Hopefully now I can get back on top of things.

(2013-12-24, 04:24 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]May I ask, can I use memcache to further cache the sideboxes or they are already doing fine? My forum is in a VPS. I am considering memcache because the sidebars I use (not sidebosex, just code embedded in the template) are having to reload every time a page is open. My only concern is that memcache caches everything which can affect my forum members and perhaps ASB too.

I am not too familiar with that so I couldn't say. I am caching everything that I can cache before hand though (in ACP side), so that when you create the side boxes, that info doesn't have to be loaded and parsed-- ASB already 'knows' which modules to load, which side boxes to place, where, which order, which templates are needed for all of those boxes and modules, etc.

That is all I can really cache because things like latest threads are constantly changing and must be rebuilt from scratch.

(2013-12-24, 04:59 PM)Trill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice plugin mate. It looks really good.

Thanks so much. Smile