MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Scratchboard – Post your random admin/dev stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started to work on Tetra theme (WIP) before few weeks but didn't have time finished it - http://i.imgur.com/7G6M9Hw.jpg (if watermark is obstructive please let me know and i'll lower it) - 4 color schemes (Red, orange, green and blue).Bubbles in thead are animated (moving from top to bottom and vice versa via keyspin rule) and the header circle is rotating.
Looks alright, would prefer something different for the forumbit but it looks nice. Good work
So I'm thinking about starting a new project. I've done this one before but it was during an unstable time and I didn't have the time to invest. Now life is starting to settle and I'm thinking about picking it back up.

But I do have a question on beginnings: is it better to start big and get bigger or start small and slowly broaden out over time? I know having a lot of empty forums is bad for any beginning, but what I'm trying to do would be to bring together all kinds of specific niches into one broad category. Should I start with the big category or just focus on the small niches and slowly add them all on over tiem?
(2013-04-21, 09:27 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Looks alright, would prefer something different for the forumbit but it looks nice. Good work

I was thinking about two column forumbit structure and atm i'm trying out some combinations, when creating a new theme i always have big plans for that area but i end up with similar edits.
(2013-04-21, 10:14 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]but what I'm trying to do would be to bring together all kinds of specific niches into one broad category.

why? we need more detail than this.
(2013-04-21, 10:49 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-21, 10:14 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]but what I'm trying to do would be to bring together all kinds of specific niches into one broad category.

why? we need more detail than this.

Well, that's the point of the project. See, I want to make a website for nerds, broadly speaking, of all kinds: fantasy, role-play, intellectual, technological, online/console/card gaming, sci-fi, and more. I was wondering if I should just start off making, say, a card gaming website and eventually branch out to include other areas of nerddome. The point, is to bring together nerds of all kinds to foster a kind of brotherhood and pride and all things nerd.
isn't that reddit?
That's fair enough. But like you've once said, if it already exists, do it better. I'm not quite sure how I could do better, but like I said it's at this point just a thought.
If you can do it better, gather all of those niches right away. Don't start off with, say, a Magic The Gathering forum and later expand to Sci-Fi TV shows. Focusing on everything you want to focus on from the beginning is always best while building up your user base.

With that said, I don't really think having a "nerddome" website is that great of an idea, because nerd is a very general term. There are plenty of forums that focus on a wide range of topics, and those are generally called General Forums.

But like I said, if you can do it better and know you can, then go for it.

My personal suggestion? Stick to one niche with possibly a couple of other topics that suit it very well.

I tend to have the mindset that, when people have a wide range of topics for their forum, it simply means they're not interested enough in a single topic to bring anything new to the table. It's the "safe" route that almost never gets anywhere.
That's fair enough. Thank you Tecca. =)