MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Scratchboard – Post your random admin/dev stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Facebook has infinitely more complicated controls than "how to bold this text using MyCode." MyCode, for example, is self-explanitory as long as the icons are good. WYSIWIG would make this easier.

How to register? Nobody will read this. How to login and logout ... posting a reply ... I mean, do you really think this is valuable? Is it helpful to anyone?

It's not worth rewriting the help articles if nobody reads them in the first place.
I use MyCode references all the time on sites that have tons of them.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

(Not MyBB, but that site is just what came to mind)
How many sites have this many mycodes? Something like this would have to be custom per-site anyway, not part of a default help file.
(2013-06-28, 01:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Facebook has infinitely more complicated controls than "how to bold this text using MyCode." MyCode, for example, is self-explanitory as long as the icons are good. WYSIWIG would make this easier.

How to register? Nobody will read this. How to login and logout ... posting a reply ... I mean, do you really think this is valuable? Is it helpful to anyone?

It's not worth rewriting the help articles if nobody reads them in the first place.

Quote:You have to consider the fact that not everyone will be able to understand how to use a website, especially if they're new to the Internet, forums, or if English isn't their native language.

Only so much can be explained by design. You cannot assume people will know how to use all these features. Overs the years I've spoken with people who need guidance with the simplest of things - not because of bad design, or because they're completely incompetent, but because they've never used a forum before. Yes Brad, it can be as simple as that.

Feel free to help rewrite them, or not, but they will be rewritten before 1.8 is released.
I have personally never used the help docs (or encountered anybody who has). I'd be interested to see some actual usage metrics rather than "some people use it". They seem like a wasted effort to me.

I can see the point in official wiki type help docs here at MyBB but shipping them within the software as a module is overall rather pointless IMO.
I quite like the help docs Big Grin

The default MyBB helpdocs is rather fail, but they can be modified to be what you feel is helpful to the user. They are an example is all.

I think the help docs are not supposed to be used as is, rather to provide the mechanism to do so. Of course, MyBB 1.6.10 killed all my help doc changes so that was rather demotivating.
(2013-06-28, 05:41 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I have personally never used the help docs (or encountered anybody who has). I'd be interested to see some actual usage metrics rather than "some people use it". They seem like a wasted effort to me.

I can see the point in official wiki type help docs here at MyBB but shipping them within the software as a module is overall rather pointless IMO.

See: http://community.mybb.com/thread-116809-...pid1016204
can you guys please stop linking private threads within public threads? pretty frustrating.

Quote:I think the help docs are not supposed to be used as is, rather to provide the mechanism to do so. Of course, MyBB 1.6.10 killed all my help doc changes so that was rather demotivating.

Glad I didn't upgrade yet. I have custom help docs.
Quote:can you guys please stop linking private threads within public threads? pretty frustrating.

It's carrying on the discussion internally. It seems it's more relevant there.
PM. It's not nice to link to threads that most readers can't see.