MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Scratchboard – Post your random admin/dev stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@Eric, yea, I am using the font awesome icons on my postbit (and header) but as the whole point of editing the buttons was to lose the images I just edited the templates the old fashioned way.

I used the css selectors for this:

[Image: thread.jpg]

Thread icon based on a XThreads custom prefix.
(2013-06-13, 08:46 PM)Heartless Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-09, 02:48 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Still seems too large.
I feel it should be the same size as the other buttons.
[Image: JtTdXhk.png]

Totally agree. I think it should be the same size as the rest of the buttons. The highlighting alone would make it stand out.

(2013-06-09, 03:31 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ][Image: EPb34th.png]

lol. without descriptive text to anchor it it looks comically small.
(2013-06-13, 08:57 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]@Eric, yea, I am using the font awesome icons on my postbit (and header) but as the whole point of editing the buttons was to lose the images I just edited the templates the old fashioned way.

Yeah I suppose if this were used it would just be for people that wanted it done quick, needed the customization options that CSS3 buttons provide, and wanted an easier theme upgrade to newer versions of MyBB. Though it does suck that the extra HTTP requests are there.

But yes CSS3 selectors are amazing, and luckily I've found fallback for old versions of IE for most of them as well.

https://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/
http://selectivizr.com/
Speaking of icon fonts, do you guys know the efficiency and speed of different icon font services? Specifically, FontAwesome vs We Love Icon Font's API. I've been using Entypo from WLIF (and prefer it over FontAwesome) but I've noticed sometimes that it takes some time to load, and I don't want to continue using it if it slows down the page significantly.
Font-Awesome is hosted locally and I've never noticed any loading delay with it.
@Eric - I use the HTML5 shiv for support in IE7 and the css content trick works back to IE8 - I only use it for candy, so as it is non critical to site ops I leave it as and dont bother with yet another bit of js.

Right now I am developing my IE7 stylesheet - no responsiveness, fixed width, at least it works :d

@ Ferron - I use a custom build of Font Awesome and of course Gzip my fonts. I see some loading delay on IE 7 and 8... but otherwise seems fine.
So long as you set decent cache headers for fonts, you should be fine. Just set them to expires max;

@Leefish do you still have users using IE7? I'd advise checking your analytics - I think you'd be surprised how few visitors (especially legit ones) still use it and you may save yourself a lot of time by dropping support for IE <8.
I use Bootstrap CDN (MaxCDN) for FontAwesome, and don't personally get a delay. I only prefer it because I've learned most of the class names already. xD
@Euan - I actually want to make the stylesheet for my own understanding - my stats tell me my users are all hardcore Chrome users Big Grin
Just started: new Articles section. xThreads, of course.

[Image: yYd9TKZ.png]