MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Scratchboard – Post your random admin/dev stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright...

Even though people with Asperger's hate to fill out these captcha things, I feel that it is necessary for at least the registration script.

EDIT: Image removed.
(2013-06-27, 06:01 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-27, 01:36 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-27, 01:52 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]If you're looking to just write something up you can always write up the new help documents. They desperately need some attention. Smile

Sure, though ideally good design would make a help section unnecessary.

Ideally it would, but not everything is about design. At this point the help section is practically unusable.

What kinds of things do you think the help section should cover?

(2013-06-28, 01:50 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Alright...

Even though people with Asperger's hate to fill out these captcha things, I feel that it is necessary for at least the registration script.

Why do you think Captcha is necessary?
Quote:What kinds of things do you think the help section should cover?

It should cover user registration, posting, polls, searching, attachments, MyCode usage, etc. All common features which users may encounter. Essentially it will be a a guide to using MyBB.
(2013-06-28, 02:47 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-28, 01:50 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Alright...

So, here's the page:

<image>

Why do you think Captcha is necessary?

I feel that it is simpler for speedy launch, to use a captcha now. Since I don't presently have any other ways to check for spammers, etc. I will not be using it permanantly.
(2013-06-28, 02:55 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

It should cover user registration, posting, polls, searching, attachments, MyCode usage, etc. All common features which users may encounter. Essentially it will be a a guide to using MyBB.

Will any user actually read guides to such basic things? These are exactly the kinds of features that should be explained through design. I think the help section is a solution looking for a problem.
(2013-06-28, 03:58 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-28, 02:55 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

Will any user actually read guides to such basic things? These are exactly the kinds of features that should be explained through design. I think the help section is a solution looking for a problem.

As I mentioned, it's not all about design. Facebook has had around 1,000 engineers over the years, yet they have a very extensive help section. Does that mean it's badly designed? Not necessarily. You have to consider the fact that not everyone will be able to understand how to use a website, especially if they're new to the Internet, forums, or if English isn't their native language.

The problem at hand is that the help documents are unusable and need updating.
@Nathan - do you mean that the default text in the Help Docs is not very good or that the whole layout needs a change?
(2013-06-28, 04:56 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]@Nathan - do you mean that the default text in the Help Docs is not very good or that the whole layout needs a change?

The default text. There's an internal thread about it. Smile
(2013-06-28, 04:44 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]As I mentioned, it's not all about design. Facebook has had around 1,000 engineers over the years, yet they have a very extensive help section. Does that mean it's badly designed? Not necessarily.

Lol. Really poor comparison.

@Ben: Would security questions not work better? We removed captcha from our registration when we used MyBB, and it didn't hinder us with spam bots at all due to the questions. They're more user-friendly if they're good enough.
Quote:Lol. Really poor comparison.

Care to elaborate? Both systems are used worldwide by a wide range of people. I'm not comparing software.