MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Scratchboard – Post your random admin/dev stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to say Brad, you've come a long way with the heart. It looks a lot better than before Smile

I know you've probably covered this before but is there a reason you have both the postbit buttons and the heart on the left? Leefish's version with the heart on the right is a step in the right direction because it differentiates it from the buttons but, given the amount of revisions on this, I'm guessing there's a reason you have it the way it is.
@ Ferron - I was gonna move it across, but I am having problems with the MyNetwork templates so I can't do much right now. Sad
(2013-06-09, 04:01 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of click target, it's actually significantly smaller than the rest of the options due to there being no text attached to it.

I tried it, but it looks really small to me.

[Image: z1Cjwj4.png]

I feel the grey box is doing that.

Try making the grey box the size of the text and the heart the size of the icons.
(2013-06-09, 04:24 AM)Ferron Wrote: [ -> ]I know you've probably covered this before but is there a reason you have both the postbit buttons and the heart on the left? Leefish's version with the heart on the right is a step in the right direction because it differentiates it from the buttons but, given the amount of revisions on this, I'm guessing there's a reason you have it the way it is.

Because English readers read left to right, and the eye naturally ends up at the right outside corner of the post when finished reading.

(2013-06-09, 01:12 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-09, 04:01 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of click target, it's actually significantly smaller than the rest of the options due to there being no text attached to it.

I tried it, but it looks really small to me.

[Image: z1Cjwj4.png]

I feel the grey box is doing that.

Try making the grey box the size of the text and the heart the size of the icons.

[Image: EPb34th.png]

lol. without descriptive text to anchor it it looks comically small.
Was messing around earlier to try and find a way around editing all those templates for postbit buttons (I'm lazy, haha). Ended up getting it working Big Grin

[Image: ivjfUcda5QHE1.png]

That's with only an edit to headerinclude (For FontAwesome), and global.css. I'll probably look into some older browser issues (And multiquote) and make a tutorial for it.
That's neat. I assume that the browser still loads the postbit images in the background though -- right?
So wait, there's no Template edits involved here? Nice.
It is possible by using css3 selectors and pseudo classes (:before), here's a rough example

a[href*="search.php?action=finduser"] > img{
   display:none;
}

a[href*="search.php?action=finduser"] {
  background-color:red;
  padding:2px 3px;
}

a[href*="search.php?action=finduser"]:before {
  content:"Search";
}

(instead of "Search" you are including search icon from font awesome).
Yeah like Johnny mentioned, it's simply the power behind CSS3 doing all the work. I'm currently working on support for IE7 and 8, but once that's done this could easily prevent editing a ton of templates. ^.^

@Tecca - yeah, images are still loaded sadly, don't think this can really be fixed without editing all those templates. xD
(2013-06-09, 02:48 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Still seems too large.
I feel it should be the same size as the other buttons.
[Image: JtTdXhk.png]

Totally agree. I think it should be the same size as the rest of the buttons. The highlighting alone would make it stand out.