MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyAlerts v2.0.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-10-15, 06:25 PM)asdf123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-15, 05:53 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, the layout depends on your theme, you'll have to change the myalerts_headericon template. If you can send me details for a temporary admin account I can fix it for you Smile

If i remove the li class part, it fits in nicely, will that be an issue?
That should be fine Smile
(2016-10-15, 06:55 PM)GoldenBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-15, 08:41 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-15, 12:13 AM)asdf123 Wrote: [ -> ]<li class="alerts {$newAlertsIndicator}">
   <a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/alerts.php" class="myalerts open_modal"
      data-selector="#myalerts_alerts_modal" rel="modal:open">{$lang->myalerts_alerts}
       ({$mybb->user['unreadAlerts']})</a>
</li>
Ah, yes that template is incorrect. It should look like this: https://github.com/MyBBStuff/MyAlerts/bl...ricon.html

Did you use the version off of GitHub? Make sure that the alerts.php file is up to date with this version: https://github.com/MyBBStuff/MyAlerts/bl...alerts.php
(2016-10-15, 07:16 AM)GoldenBB Wrote: [ -> ]I just installed MyAlerts on my site and once I click on the Alerts icon then it takes me to a blank page. Oh and my Current PHP version is:  5.5

Hi,

What URL does it take you to? it should be /alerts.php. If it's the correct URL, can you check your server error log? This plugin definitely works on PHP 5.5.
I see now but how do I make the alerts pop up like this when you click on the alert icon?: http://imgur.com/j5cFu8W

Hi,

That should happen with the default template without any changes. Can you send me your URL and details of a temporary admin account?
Forum url: travian.forumkeyfim.com
mybb: 1.8.7
theme: vienna

[Image: gX1GRb.png]

1-this my alerts
2-this Vienna theme notification

Vienna notification is looks nice. But this notification support only pm. Plug-in can synchronize with my alerts?

sorry for bad english.
Hi,

You'll need to edit your templates to make MyAlerts use the same style. The templates you need to edit are "header_welcomeblock_member" and "myalerts_headericon".
(2016-10-21, 05:40 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

You'll need to edit your templates to make MyAlerts use the same style. The templates you need to edit are "header_welcomeblock_member" and "myalerts_headericon".
Forum url: travian.forumkeyfim.com
mybb: 1.8.7
theme: vienna
Plugin: My Alerts 2.0.2

[Image: 5YOW5d.png]

[Image: G3rL83.png]

1-My alerts plugin

2-Vienna pm notification.

My alerts should be in the red box. All alerts in the red box. I dont see "Bildirimlerim"(English>My Alerts) text. Vienna notification look nice.But vienna notification only pm support. I want to all my alerts notification support.
İs possible?
Sorry for bad english

Thanks
Very sad to realize this no longer has any dropdown function, because I find the modal is just too slow and intrusive to the rest of the user experience. Has anyone successfully adapted this into a dropdown menu? This is a bit too much for me to handle, unfortunately haha.

Also, is there a way to show a preview of the PM? And finally, is there a way to put the MyAlerts settings into the regular settings page?
Decided to make do with the modal. Pretty pleased with it, although it opens kind of slowly.

[Image: UDfPU8D.png]

Some suggestions on how MyAlerts (and MyBB 2.0's alerts) could be improved.

As has been said before, the unread counter really should be cleared every time the notifications pane is opened. However, that doesn't mean the notifications within should be marked as read. They should maintain their unread status and styling, so that users can refer back to them after clearing the initial unread counter.

This is exactly how Facebook handles notifications, so it's not exactly a ground-breaking idea.

There should be more focus on marking notifications as read and less focus on deleting them. Just because I want to mark all my notifications as read does not mean I want to completely obliterate my ability to refer back to them in the future.

MyAlerts should be keeping a log of all notifications (or at least for the past X days) and displaying the most recent X amount in the notifications pane at all times.
It looks sexy! Would be really nice to see any update from Euan Sad
(2016-10-24, 06:02 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]It looks sexy! Would be really nice to see any update from Euan Sad

Time spent working on this is time not spent on MyBB 2.0 Toungue

I am sure MyAlerts 2.1.0 is coming! Looking forward to it!
Looks reall good brad-t.

And yes i am also looking forward for a new my alerts version, lots of stuff thats needs fixing and improvements Smile
Here's where I ended up at ...

[Image: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f49...592e676966]

Very pleased with what I've been able to do so far. And I see huge potential in this plugin to be the ultimate news feed for MyBB 1.8 sites. But there are a few core design issues holding it back:

All notifications should be logged and never deleted. Deletion is a destructive act and losing the ability to reference your previous notifications sucks. Rather, you should have the ability to both mark individual alerts as read without opening them and mark all alerts as read — all from within the modal.

If notifications must be deleted, they should at least last a set amount of days.

– Ideally, it should be designed so that most of the interaction is expected to happen within the modal, with the ability to scroll back through your history at least a little bit before having to hit the link to go to the notifications page.

– I showed the modal I designed to my coworker this morning and she immediately asked me why the counter didn't go away. I told her it was a bug. The counter needs to reset when you open the modal. This shouldn't mark the posts within as read, but the counter is there to notify you that there are new alerts; removing it acknowledges that the user has seen them. Forcing the user to mark every single notification as read to make the counter go down is unnecessary busywork.

– It would be extremely useful if it could pull in post and PM previews to be displayed in the alerts. If one of my posts is liked in a thread, I have no idea of knowing which one it is since I can only see the subject, which is the same for every post in a thread normally. PM previews would also make it possible to read short messages in their entirety and hit a button to go to the reply page.

There are huge potential opportunities for UX improvements here that will help keep MyBB a viable platform for communities for years.