MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Introduce Yourself!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm a new user. I see this thread hasn't seen activity since 2018. A new introduction here may be wasteful; it seems nobody cares. However, I feel in the need to introduce myself so that nobody assumes things about me that are not correct.

I graduated in 1990 with a bachelor degree in maths, computing specialization. I never exerted that as a profession; but worked on generating corporate reports by querying the database with SQL. Right now I'm unemployed and seeking to get a new career; completely broke. I have almost no knowledge of PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascript, or anything that can relate to MyBB or any knowledge on MyBB itself.

In the last couple of years, I've gotten interested on some area of entertainment, and wanted to start a forum on it. Being broke, I'm going for free alternatives to start with, and then see how I go from it. I managed to install Cygwin on my computer, and with that also Apache, MariaDB, and MyBB itself. I now have a "forum" running locally on my computer. I want an alerts system (I installed MyAlerts), a reactions system (I installed MyReactions), a mentions system (I installed MentionMe), and then I got stuck on an inactive user identification and management system, I found no free one, actually none at all. So I am making one.

The plugin development section on this website says that plugin development *requires* a solid knowledge on MyBB and all those languages I mention above, and that I don't know. Until now, I have managed to write the install and uninstall functions for a working Inactive User plugin. It only does that for now. It creates two tables, one for the settings and one for the identified users who have not been seen in X days. I have it still on a private github repo (I've had to learn git and github as well to do it).

So I think that's it. I hope to get some help from the community if I get so stuck that I cannot find my way out. What's usual for me is that I strive to solve all the issues on my own. And I also hope to release my plugin. Maybe it'll be useful to someone else.
Welcome to MyBB (plugin) development, Betsemes. Best of success with it. Striving to solve all issues on your own is admirable, but let us know if we can help in any way.
(2022-05-01, 09:55 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to MyBB (plugin) development, Betsemes. Best of success with it. Striving to solve all issues on your own is admirable, but let us know if we can help in any way.

Thanks! I've solved all issues on my own up to this point. Not that I'll not need any help at all. I'm obviously progressing at a very slow pace. Right now, I'm adopting the Semantic Versioning proposed standard for my plugin, so I have some good documentation to write if I'm understanding it correctly. I think my plugin version would be 0.1.0-alpha if I were to make it public right now.
Hello everyone,

My name is Luke and I am a mid 20's developer from the UK. I am currently working on integrating MyBB onto my existing ecommerce website on a subdomain so that users can receive support on products and ask general advice. I have just joined the forums so hopefully I can start posting more and receive help / give help to others where needed.

Thanks for reading.
(2022-05-24, 06:10 AM)JamesMarchant Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, my name is James Merchant, and I am very passionate about my hobbies especially collecting things which are old. I am not fine at books but love some fantasy and romantic books. As like so many people I love to go in nature its pleasant for me.
Thank you.

(2022-05-31, 03:40 PM)LukePQ Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,

My name is Luke and I am a mid 20's developer from the UK. I am currently working on integrating MyBB onto my existing ecommerce website on a subdomain so that users can receive support on products and ask general advice. I have just joined the forums so hopefully I can start posting more and receive help / give help to others where needed.

Thanks for reading.

Hello! Welcome! I'm relatively new myself and a newcomer to all things MyBB and even PHP. I'm making a plugin, however, which is extra hard without enough knowledge and/or experience.
Hello everyone, I am an IT consultant and like your software :)
Hi my name is Paul. I have a project I foresee in the future where it would be nice to run a bulletin board. I read about a bunch of different projects and came across mybb. It seems very clean and just what I need.

I have an account on nearlyfreespeech.net that I use for messing around. It took maybe 15 minutes to set up mybb so it displays a blank default forum page. https://paulstuff.nfshost.com/mybb  . I'm impressed! 

Thank you for making this available to me.
Hello, I am XeroXipher (Pronounced Zero Zifer) and I am 31 (turning 32 in December), I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and I am a Theistic Satanist, which is what my Forums is about.